Firecrackers

Started by Tenpoint5, June 10, 2012, 12:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I got this recipe from a friend of mine. These are really really good! Make a double batch right from the git go!! I made a couple substitutions noted in red.
In the world of "firecrackers" there are lady fingers, black cats, silver salutes and cherry bombs. These are somewhere between black cats and silver salutes...  :o So, adjust the heat to meet your taste... just sayin...

Firecracker Carrots

Ingredients
1/2 pound mini carrots
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili flakes Pickling Spice mix I would still add the chili flakes I just didn't have any at the time.
2 dried chilies Pickled hot peppers from a jar slit down the sides
Sliced Winter Onion just got a bag from the MIL

Directions
Place carrots in a spring-top glass jar. Bring the water, sugar, cider vinegar, onion powder, mustard seeds, salt, and chili flakes to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Boil for 4 minutes.
Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrots, filling the jar to the top. Place the chilies in the jar. Allow the carrots to cool before sealing. Refrigerate for 2 days up to 1 week.

I poured the boiling liquid over the carrots and put lids on and they all sealed. Had to make a couple substitutions but they been in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.

I busted them out this morning. One jar is dead already!! Looked something like this

The Brine

The hot jars freshly loaded with carrots and cut up winter onions and peppers.

Didn't have any of the dried Peppers so I put 2-3 of these in each jar. After I sliced down the sides of each pepper.

After they sealed they have been resting here in the beer fridge in the garage ever since.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SiFumar

I bet they taste perfectly awesome!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: SiFumar on June 10, 2012, 12:51:15 PM

That's not quite what Miss Rachel said when Dad tricked her into eating half a carrot!! :o That's kinda what her eyes looked like too!! ;D ;D

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

SiFumar

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 10, 2012, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: SiFumar on June 10, 2012, 12:51:15 PM

That's not quite what Miss Rachel said when Dad tricked her into eating half a carrot!! :o That's kinda what her eyes looked like too!! ;D ;D

She'll grow to be addicted to them!  I love hot and spicy!

Tenpoint5

She did tell me today that she would eat 5 jars of those carrots before she EVER licked a tongue full of SLAP YOUR MAMA off her hand again!! I sure am a mean Dad. Her eyeballs even started sweating I think!! :o :o

SouthernSmoked

Looks good Chris!

Little Miss Rachel may have to get some "Punch Ya Daddy" if you keep pulling mean little tricks on her.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

pensrock

I got to make some of these, but I'll used some of my dried peppers to kick them up some. Can't wait. Thanks.  :)

ghost9mm

They look and sound good Chris, but I will have to pass on them...I mistreated my insides when I was a young man...lol.. :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pensrock on June 12, 2012, 01:29:01 PM
I got to make some of these, but I'll used some of my dried peppers to kick them up some. Can't wait. Thanks.  :)
Your gonna love em Pens. Sweet then heat then you just gotta have another!!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 11, 2012, 06:57:25 PM
She did tell me today that she would eat 5 jars of those carrots before she EVER licked a tongue full of SLAP YOUR MAMA off her hand again!! I sure am a mean Dad. Her eyeballs even started sweating I think!! :o :o

Did the same kinda stuff with Taby when she was younger,,,,,now she carries a bottle of hot sauce in her car.  ::)  ;D

I'm gonna try this recipe with some of last years dried peppers.

Tenpoint5

Just wanted to bump this up for those that wanted the recipe I used for the green beans at the smoke out

FLBentRider

How many jars does it make?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Three jars of french style green beans is what I made. You can adjust and add or delete things as needed like I did on this one. Pack the beans in tight and pour/ladle the boiling brine over the top and put the lids on as soon as possible. I do one jar at a time. Then let sit on the counter till the lids pop. Then place in the fridge

NePaSmoKer

Regular green beans should work too then.