SMOKED MACKINAW AND PIKE CHOWDER

Started by pikeman_95, June 10, 2012, 01:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

I was lacking the the smoked Salmon but had a good supply of smoked Mackinaw trout and Northern Pike. I liked the look of this chowder. I extend my thanks to the originator of the chowder recipe.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?241-Smoked-Salmon-Chowder

So I made my changes. The smoked Mackinaw was just right to flavor the chowder. The Pike cubes stay firm and give a nice chowder base. First I de-boned everything very well and minced the smoked Mackinaw very fine. Then I cubed the pike meat in 1/2 inch cubes.

Then we cooked the base chowder until the potatoes stareted to soften, and then added the fish.

Once the fish is cooked I then put the chowder in a double boiler and added the milk. I then heated the finished chowder to a hot serving temperature. Add a few oyster crackers and serve.

This turned out to be a great dish and will be a staple at our house.
Kirby

Tenpoint5

That just had to be killer Kirby. Did the smoke flavor come through or was it washed out?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Kirby

That chowder is the schiznet  ;D

pikeman_95

The smoke flavor was fantastic. It made the kitchen smell great. Our guest cleaned up the pot. [Lucky I hid half of the base chowder in the fridge.] They still wiped out most of a gallon of chowder and took the rest home with them. Here is the smoked Mackinaw I used. It took about 5 chunks to flavor two gallons of chowder.

I am not sure who made this recipe but it sure turned out great. I like the pike because it made the chowder nice and meaty.

KC

SamuelG

Dang that looks insanely delicious!

How are you doing?

Sam
SamuelG

pikeman_95

Doing better Sam. I get around for longer and longer sessions. Still neet to take a brake after a while. Thanks for asking.
KC

SamuelG

Great to hear! With those eats you should be back 200% in no time.

Sam
SamuelG

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)