• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Making Liverwurst??

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, June 12, 2012, 11:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

I want to make some Liverwurst and wondering if anyone has any sugestions on where to start.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

Kevin A

I made a batch recently. "Smoked Liverwusrt" (braunschweiger), but same ingredients as your basic liverwurst—just smoked.
I used chicken livers (more easily available than pork). Big hit with the family & liverwurst-lovers I shared it with.
It's on my 'do it again' list....

My thread:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=28091.0
...which includes my variations of the original recipe by Leni Poli, which can be found here:

Recipe from Leni Poli..
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/LiverwurstLen.pdf

Kevin

NePaSmoKer

Looks good.

One of the few sausages i wont make......dont like liver....yikes

ghost9mm

Kevin when I was a young boy and my grandmother knew I was coming to help on the farm when school was out for the summer, she made sure I got my share of liverwurst...I love it, but now at 75 years old the doctor said in moderation....lol...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

cobra6223

DANG that looks awesome....I love braunschweiger and I also made liverwurst once man the stuff turned out better than store bought(not bragging) I used beef rounds to stuff it in and pork liver, would like to try chicken livers it's cheaper. Thanks for sharing the great pics.

Tim

cobra6223

should have read all the posts before I posted the first reply..OOPPPSSS........Rick I can't beleive a BIG BOY like you would be afraid of anything !! like I said above I made liverwurst and was scared to try it however it was very easy and quick. One receipe I found called for hog snouts but I kept looking and found one that didn't, hog snouts were a pain in the butt to find unless you wanted 60#.
Good Luck Tim

Bigbirdoffroad

Kevin. that recepie called for you to use a food processor. I notice you did not use one. How's the texture on that stuff with only grinding?
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: cobra6223 on June 12, 2012, 07:39:54 PM
DANG that looks awesome....I love braunschweiger and I also made liverwurst once man the stuff turned out better than store bought(not bragging) I used beef rounds to stuff it in and pork liver, would like to try chicken livers it's cheaper. Thanks for sharing the great pics.

Tim

Tim

I'm ascared of a couple things   :o

Kevin A

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on June 13, 2012, 06:15:06 AM
Kevin. that recepie called for you to use a food processor. I notice you did not use one. How's the texture on that stuff with only grinding?
Having used both techniques before (emulsifying with a processor or doing two fine grinds), I much prefer the fine grind method. The texture with the fine grind (3.0 plate) is perfect—not overly mushy, but even and consistent. It's the way I do it now for fine textured meats such as bologna, franks, liverwurst.
Additionally, I've found that grinding twice is faster than the multiple load processing & ice-adding procedure when using a processor—and there's considerably less risk of 'over-processing' the meat.

Kevin

Sam3

Quote from: Kevin A on June 13, 2012, 06:41:42 AM
Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on June 13, 2012, 06:15:06 AM
Having used both techniques before (emulsifying with a processor or doing two fine grinds), I much prefer the fine grind method. The texture with the fine grind (3.0 plate) is perfect—not overly mushy, but even and consistent. It's the way I do it now for fine textured meats such as bologna, franks, liverwurst.
Additionally, I've found that grinding twice is faster than the multiple load processing & ice-adding procedure when using a processor—and there's considerably less risk of 'over-processing' the meat.

Kevin

Good info Kevin.

viper125

I use this one! But I sub calf liver out for the pork liver. Porks hard to get because todays pigs have a disease that hits the liver. Even if you find some they have you sign a release here. Now the calf liver is light and tasty,

BRAUNSCHWEIGER INGREDIENTS:
Braunschweiger

Braunschweiger
Instructions:
Yield: 5 Pounds
2½   lb   Pork liver, trim and cube
2½   lb   Pork butt w/ fat, cubed
½   cups           Ice water
¼   cups            Dry milk powder
5   teaspoon   Salt
1   tablespoon   Sugar
2   tablespoon    Finely minced onion
2   teaspoon    Fine white pepper
1   teaspoon    Crushed mustard seed
½   teaspoon    Ground marjoram
¼   teaspoon    Ground allspice
1       teaspoon         Cure #1
4        Feet medium hog casings Or collegen 40 mm

If you use a process for grinding, cut the pork, pork fat and liver into cubes and freeze for an hour or two, so that they will process without mushing.

Sauté the onion in a little pork fat or butter until it is soft. Sprinkle with the spices to warm them, then add the mixture to the pork and process until you have a smooth puree.

Dry at 120 degrees for one hour. then kick up to 180  till It is 160-165 degrees. Cool in cold water then let sit in fridge two days before using (if you can)

Pack the puree into an earthenware baking dish or 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans and cover tightly with foil. Put the dish in a pan with an inch or two of boiling water and bake at 300 degrees F until meat is cooked but not browned (meat thermometer should read 160 degrees F to 165 degrees F), about 2 hours.

Remove baking dish from the pan of water and let pat cool in the dish. Refrigerate 1 to 2 days before using.

Makes 2 standard-size loaves or 1 large terrine.

Grind liver and butt separately through the fine disk and then mix together. Combine with remaining ingredients, chill in freezer 30 minutes then regrind through the fine disk. Prepare casings, stuff and tie off into 6-8" lengths. Simmer in a 180-190 kettle of water for an hour. Remove from water, dry thoroughly and smoke at 150 for two hours.Done when it hits 160-165 degrees

Your Braunschweiger is ready. Good luck!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Up In Smoke

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 12, 2012, 12:42:09 PM
Looks good.

One of the few sausages i wont make......dont like liver....yikes
We are on the same page here!
I just cannot bring myself to eat a filter :P
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

viper125

HMM wonder if that's truly the worst thing you have ate? LOL
I love Branswiger and liverwurst.  as long as its not real strong. Love it plain or mustard and crackers or sliced 3/8 thick on a sandwich with mustard and hot peppers. Now I need to make another batch. Last one was gone in a few days. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

I just through up a little.  ;D

My great grandma Rose imagrated over from Germany right after WW1 and when we were young we go spend the week ends with her and great grandpa.

She would MAKE us eat BRAUNSCHWEIGER.

I just through up a little again.

Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll go back to my corner now.

Up In Smoke

QuoteHMM wonder if that's truly the worst thing you have ate?
Doesn't count i was drinking  ::).
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.