Apple Smoked Jalepeno Havarti

Started by JZ, June 14, 2012, 09:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

About 3 months ago I got some of this Havarti from Costco and smoked it with 1 hr 40 min of hickory and found that was too strong. So this time I am going with 1 hr of Apple. Here is a pic of the results while the chunks sit on the counter waiting to cool off before the wipe and the overnight rest in the fridge. Tomorrow they get the vac seal treatment. :)

Now I have to wait for at least a month (probably 2 or 3) before I get to eat it. :(

This got me to thinking about the threads I read before about the pucks being the issue with the ashy taste and wondering if the same thing occurs when using pellets or chips in a cold smoker or something like the AMSP.

Has anybody done cheese using both methods (ie pucks or pellets / chips) and if so is there a difference with the wait time? Is the cheese edible sooner using the pellets / chips?

Toker

Just ask Nepa. He use his AMSP pretty often.

Tenpoint5

Good question JZ. Wish I had the answer for you
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Never thought about it but is a good question.
My my observation of both, Bradley bisquettes are Lil chips of clean wood, no bark. So I'm assuming ???  Pellets have that coloration to them like they have bark in them also.
Where I'm getting at is that shouldn't you get a cleaner flavor smoke taste from the bisquettes.
Most times, the bisquettes are not burned thru completely as opposed to the pellets that are burned to ash. But then again that's in the poopers and not in the thingamagigy. I don't know how much they burn in that thing.
I yield away from my dumb azz input to others that know what they are talking about ;D 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

The reason I ask, is that years ago I had a Little Chief smoker and I smoked some cheese on it. Just about lost it due to melting, but I caught it before it was a right off. What I do remember though is that the cheese was awesome right off the smoker and no ashy taste. (my wife remembers it that way too - so I don't think it is my old age playing tricks on me  ;D).

This morning when I was vac sealing the cheese I smoked last night, I gave in to temptation and tried a little sliver to see if the ashy taste was there. I thought that since I used different pucks this time and smoked for less time it might not be there. But it was and now I must wait for the goodness to develop.  :)