Thermopen Themometer - Durability?

Started by Old Frenchie, June 16, 2012, 09:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 16, 2012, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on June 16, 2012, 10:38:53 AM
I even used it yesterday on the brake rotors on the motorhome.

So what is the target IT for those?   :D

The front left one was 300F. The others were about 180F. The FL one was stuck. Gotta love the Ford E-450 Chassis. ugh.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Old Frenchie on June 16, 2012, 05:30:55 PM
Thanks for the replies !!

That's what I wanted to hear. If you all haven't had problems and Amazon had 200 folks give it 5 stars, the 6 folks that complained and gave it only 1 or 2 stars had to be the rare exceptions or habitual conplainers.

I just ordered the "Racing Green" a few minutes ago (because the racing green is the "fastest" color   ;) ... ha...ha..ha.. I read that posting about the speeds and colors).

Thanks again for the help,
Roger
Pfffft!!  British Green? ;D Surely Muebe will have a nice comment on that ;) ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Up In Smoke

Quote from: FLBentRider on June 16, 2012, 06:03:00 PM

The front left one was 300F. The others were about 180F. The FL one was stuck. Gotta love the Ford E-450 Chassis. ugh.
Randy,
Don't know what year your ride is but if you got a caliper piston sticking i would highly recommend doing a rebuild
with a steel caliper piston.
the early ford calipers had (because i cannot spell phenolic) a plastic piston in the calipers, much less resistant to heat. DUH!
the steels are much more tolerant.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

muebe

Quote from: Old Frenchie on June 16, 2012, 05:30:55 PM
Thanks for the replies !!

That's what I wanted to hear. If you all haven't had problems and Amazon had 200 folks give it 5 stars, the 6 folks that complained and gave it only 1 or 2 stars had to be the rare exceptions or habitual conplainers.

I just ordered the "Racing Green" a few minutes ago (because the racing green is the "fastest" color   ;) ... ha...ha..ha.. I read that posting about the speeds and colors).

Thanks again for the help,
Roger

Excellent!!!! British Racing Green Rules ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TedEbear

Quote from: Old Frenchie on June 16, 2012, 05:30:55 PMThat's what I wanted to hear. If you all haven't had problems and Amazon had 200 folks give it 5 stars, the 6 folks that complained and gave it only 1 or 2 stars had to be the rare exceptions or habitual conplainers.

On Amazon you have to look at the overall rating picture.  3 people gave it 2 stars and 3 more people gave it 1 star.  However, 199 people gave it 5 stars and 16 people gave it 4 stars.  It has an overall rating of 5 stars, out of 225 reviews.  That's the highest you can get.

I've had mine for about a month and no problems to report.  I have the lightning blue fast color.   ;)

Habanero Smoker

I bought my first one back in 2005, and used it almost daily for about six years. Never had a problem and never even changed the battery. When the water resistant ones came out, I purchased one of those, and gave the original thermapen to a niece. She has had it over a year and has no complaints.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Quote from: Up In Smoke on June 16, 2012, 06:27:05 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on June 16, 2012, 06:03:00 PM

Randy,
Don't know what year your ride is but if you got a caliper piston sticking i would highly recommend doing a rebuild
with a steel caliper piston.
the early ford calipers had (because i cannot spell phenolic) a plastic piston in the calipers, much less resistant to heat. DUH!
the steels are much more tolerant.

Thanks. It's an '03. We had the rears done last year. I've got four days at home this week before another trip.

Having one too many idiots in front of me doesn't help.

look in your mirror before you slam you brakes at that yellow light!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TTNuge

My old school one has been left out not once, but twice in the rain to the point where the screen was filled with water.  I pulled the battery out and let it dry for a few days and both times it has come out of it with no problems.  I just picked up one of the newer splash-proof ones and I'll be using that one from now on and the old one will be a backup.  Figure now that it's a bit more water proof I'm guaranteed not to leave it out in the rain.