Thermopen Themometer - Durability?

Started by Old Frenchie, June 16, 2012, 09:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Frenchie

I'm thinking or buying a Thermopen. Seems like a fantastic unit (very fast and very accurate) although a bit pricey.

A search on here did not reveal any negative comments. But, in spite of a lot of great reviews, when I read the "one star" and "two star" reviews on Amazon, I got a bit worried.  :o

Some stated problems especially after the 12 month warranty was over. For almost $100 I expected a longer warranty.

How long have you folks had yours and have you had any problems?

Thanks,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

squirtthecat

Mine is the original model (not the 'splash proof'), and I bought it used a couple years back.   It's probably close to 4 years old now, and on the original batteries for all I know.

standles

I have one and use it extensively.   Not only in my bbq and smoking but regular cooking as well.    In the 2 years  I have owned it never had a problem and never worried about the warranty.   It get thrown in the drawer with the rest of the utensils and only gets the probe tipped scrubbed under hot water occasionally.

Go for it.  Beats any and all thermometers I have ever had.

Tenpoint5

Probably had mine for 5 years now and it is still on the original batteries. Mine gets used all the time in BBQ, everyday cooking and my wife takes it to work with her to check food temps at work. Go for it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

I have 3, plus 2 IR.

It does what is supposed to do.

I even used it yesterday on the brake rotors on the motorhome.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on June 16, 2012, 10:38:53 AM
I even used it yesterday on the brake rotors on the motorhome.

So what is the target IT for those?   :D

pensrock

I do not have the pen but do have the Mini that you plug a thermocouple into. I use it all the time and had it for several years. I'm very happy with it.

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

Heck, I bought a refurb from Thermoworks and it works like a champ.  Don't be afraid of anything that comes from Thermoworks.  Those guys know their stuff.  In addition to the Thermapen I have an instant read that you can plug different probes into as well as one of the waterproof digital "sticks".  All from Thermoworks.

mikecorn.1

No problems at all with mine. I occasionally will give it the boiling water test to make sure it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

squirtthecat

They have a smaller model that is about 25 bucks, and just as accurate.  It's smaller/slower, but it is also water resistant.   I use it when I'm doing the "fool in the rain" cooks outside.   ;)

GusRobin

I have 2 of them. I called and asked if they had refurbished units and bought these at a discounted price with full warranty. One of them failed about a month out of warranty. I sent it in for a repair quote thinking if it was reasonable I would repair. They fixed it (whatever the problem was) for free.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Up In Smoke

I have two of them myself and wouldn't trade them for anything.
accuracy and durability is above and beyond any other temp stick i have used!

Go for it!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

iceman

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 16, 2012, 12:19:58 PM

They have a smaller model that is about 25 bucks, and just as accurate.  It's smaller/slower, but it is also water resistant.   I use it when I'm doing the "fool in the rain" cooks outside.   ;)

OK so cats outa the bag!! Make that 2 fool in the rain cooks.  ;D
Squirts right though, the water resistant ones work great.

Old Frenchie

Thanks for the replies !!

That's what I wanted to hear. If you all haven't had problems and Amazon had 200 folks give it 5 stars, the 6 folks that complained and gave it only 1 or 2 stars had to be the rare exceptions or habitual conplainers.

I just ordered the "Racing Green" a few minutes ago (because the racing green is the "fastest" color   ;) ... ha...ha..ha.. I read that posting about the speeds and colors).

Thanks again for the help,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012