• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Top Vent Setting

Started by begolf25, March 07, 2006, 04:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

Fellas,
How do you decide on how open you keep your vent on top?  Does it vary by what you are smoking or outside conditions?  When I have been doing my pulled pork I have been keeping it only about an 1/8 of the way open trying to keep some moisture inside the box.

Any suggestions on how I determine this each time?

The Yard and Pool Company
Click here for our complete line of BRADLEY SMOKERS & ACCESSORIES
I would like to pass on a special discount to all forum members so if you are interested in placing an order or if you have any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]

gary_CO

For what it's worth... I do the same as you, for the same reason. If the opportunity arose, I would close the vent completely after the pucks were used up but since I always have a temp probe running through the vent it stays open about 1/8.

Except when I'm doing jerky, then I open the vent most of the way since I'm trying to dry it more than cook it...

BigSmoker

Depends on what food I am smoking but most things I just open it enough so smoke dosen't come back out through the smoke generator.  For jerky, cheese and stuff like that I open the vent all the way.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Jeff, with the following information; You don't want too much moisture building up inside the cabinet. If there is too much moisture, and it can't escape out of the vent, the moisture will condense on the walls of the cabinet and drip out of the bottom of the door right over the thermostat. If moisture gets into the electrical wiring, it may cause problems.

Chicken with skin, you will want to keep that vent open wider then most other cuts of meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TomG

When I first got my BS I made the mistake of either closing or leaving a minimal opening in the vent and noticed smoke coming out the bisquette tube, checked out the generator and decided less than 1/4 open might smoke the inside of the generator as much or more than the meat in the cabinet.[B)]

iceman

Definate yes on keeping the vent open more with poultry. If condinsate drips on the skin it tastes bitter and looks awefull. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I agree with Jeff, with the following information; You don't want too much moisture building up inside the cabinet. If there is too much moisture, and it can't escape out of the vent, the moisture will condense on the walls of the cabinet and drip out of the bottom of the door right over the thermostat. If moisture gets into the electrical wiring, it may cause problems.

Chicken with skin, you will want to keep that vent open wider then most other cuts of meat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

begolf25

Thanks fellas.  I will start to keep my vent open a little more for sure.  I am startintg to see a build-up on the generator like Tom has and I don't want that causing problems.

The Yard and Pool Company
Click here for our complete line of BRADLEY SMOKERS & ACCESSORIES
I would like to pass on a special discount to all forum members so if you are interested in placing an order or if you have any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]