• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cuban Pork Question

Started by Papa Dave, June 18, 2012, 11:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa Dave

I have been asked to prepare cuban pork for my wife's family get together next week.  I am looking for imformation on this from any of you who might have done it before.  What cut of pork, seasoning etc. would be helpful.  Thank you.

squirtthecat

Check this one out..

http://ediblearia.com/2009/10/30/lechon-asado-cuban-roast-pork/

Marinate in DIY Mojo marinade.   Smoke it like you are making pulled pork.

mikecorn.1

Cuban an Puerto Rican food are a lot alike. My mom makes what is called pernil. Pork butt or shoulder seasoned with
Salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic, olive oil
Example recipe: 6lb butt
6 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 heads. Yes. Heads of garlic. (the garlic cooks out and will not overpower the pork. Been eating this for over 35 years)
You can go less on it if ya scarred ;D ;)
Olive oil

In mortar and petal, crush all the
Garlic into a paste.
Rub the oregano between your palm till is to a small fine grind.
Mix above ingredients with olive oil as to make a paste out of it
Poke holes in the butt and stuff the mix deep in the pockets and rub the outside with it also.
Cook at 275* till done. All piggies cook different so you gotta watch it.
We make pork to slice and not to pull with this recipe.
Also its not smoked but cooked in the house oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kahunas

Hi Papa Dave,
I use about an 8lbs boston butt and......
4 oranges (juiced)
4 limes (juiced)
2 lemons (juiced)
1 head of garlic (sometimes 2)
3 Tbsp oregano
3 each dried chilies - remove the stem, seeds, and veins.
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
2 oz olive oil
3-4 bay leaves
1 large onion or 2 medium to small, sliced
Crush the oregano, garlic and chilies and add the pepper, salt and olive oil. Score your butt and rub it with this mixture. Peel and slice the onions. Place everything in a ziplock bag to marinate overnight. Pull out your but, dry it off and reserve marinade. Smoke it for however long you would like. I just go 2-3 hours with apple. Take it out of the smoker, put in a slow cooker, cover it with the marinade you reserved and slow cook until it will fall apart. Serve with fresh tortillas, slices of lime, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, maybe some black beans or re-fried beans on the side.

Is something like that what your looking for? We love it and make it often. Don't always follow the recipe exactly, sometimes we add more garlic, less orange, more lime, whatever you feel like at the time.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Papa Dave

Thanks to each of you for your posts.  The information is great and will be very helpful in doing this.  I do appreciate the geat expertise on this forum and the willingness of members to help each other out.

sjmcdowall

Quote from: Kahunas on June 18, 2012, 11:52:35 AM
Hi Papa Dave,
I use about an 8lbs boston butt and......
4 oranges (juiced)
4 limes (juiced)
2 lemons (juiced)
1 head of garlic (sometimes 2)
3 Tbsp oregano
3 each dried chilies - remove the stem, seeds, and veins.
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
2 oz olive oil
3-4 bay leaves
1 large onion or 2 medium to small, sliced
Crush the oregano, garlic and chilies and add the pepper, salt and olive oil. Score your butt and rub it with this mixture. Peel and slice the onions. Place everything in a ziplock bag to marinate overnight. Pull out your but, dry it off and reserve marinade. Smoke it for however long you would like. I just go 2-3 hours with apple. Take it out of the smoker, put in a slow cooker, cover it with the marinade you reserved and slow cook until it will fall apart. Serve with fresh tortillas, slices of lime, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, maybe some black beans or re-fried beans on the side.

Is something like that what your looking for? We love it and make it often. Don't always follow the recipe exactly, sometimes we add more garlic, less orange, more lime, whatever you feel like at the time.

That looks awesome!  Going to try that one of these days really soon!

Habanero Smoker

I've made it a few different ways, but my favorite is a recipe I got from Cook's Illustrated. I prefer using the picnic cut.

Cuban Style Barbecue Pork

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)