• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hot vs cold smoking

Started by Charlie Ritchie, March 08, 2006, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Ritchie

As a relative newcomer to Bradley world I am having a problem coldsmoking some salmon - the heat created by the smoke generator is part hotsmoking my fish. I want to maintain a translucent look to my end product while at the moment it is being part hotsmoked. Even with the smoker heat knob slid to off the thermometer is showing around 100 degrees.

Any help please!!!

Charlie[8D][8D][8D]

BigSmoker

I would #1 unplug the heat lamp portion from the smoke generator as it will give off some heat even with the slider all the way to the right. #2 make sure top vent is all the way open to allow all heat to escape.  #3 Put ice in the puck bowl and even a pan of ice on the bottom shelf or #4 check this for an absolute cold smoking setup.
Cold Smoking

HTH

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">#4 check this for an absolute cold smoking setup.
Cold Smoking<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

BigSmoker is spot on with his advice, for me the method quoted above works by far the best and it allows you to adjust the vent to around half to two thirds shut to reduce the amount of smoke escaping.

I have used this method for cold smoking fish, salt, garlic cloves cheese and back bacon successfully.

Manxman.
Manxman

iceman

You could also mount the smoke generator on a seperate box ie a plywood box and pipe the "COLD" smoke into the Bradley. There are a few posts on the forum with pictures on how folks have done this. It' a very easy thing to accomplish from the looks of it. Can any of you guys point Charlie in the right direction? Thanks.[:D]

BigSmoker

The link is in my post[:D][;)]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Charlie Ritchie

Thanks everyone for your advice - I'll give it a whirl

Charlie[:D][:D]

TomG

The only way I've been able to keep the temp. below 95* is to unplug the BS heating element and crack the door open aprox. 1/4". I use a tongue depressor.[:p]  The alternative is a remote smoke box.  Here's the one I'm building;

icerat4

Not much room for stuff.hummm .Iceman seems to have the best set up ive ever seen.[;)]

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Here's the one I'm building;<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is that just a plastic container with a screw thread cap Tom? What is it off?

Do you then plan on using a tumble dryer hose to vent to the smoke box itself?

Manxman.
Manxman

TomG

Manxman, It's a plastic pet food container that our dog outgrew.  I heated a piece to over 200* with no burn or distortion, so I think it will hold up to the generator's heat. I'm going to use a 3" dryer connector and vent hose with a 4" to 3" adaptor to the cabinet.  

They're talking about cancelling salmon season in Northern California this year, so the cold smoking issue may be mute.[:(]

TomG

BTW, I got the generator adaptor kit from ChezBubba.  Great service, fast shipping and a pleasure to do business with.

iceman

Gotta agree with you on chez. He had my adapter kit to me in three days up to Alaska. Nice looking idea you have there Tom. Sorry to hear about the salmon season down there.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomG</i>
<br />BTW, I got the generator adaptor kit from ChezBubba.  Great service, fast shipping and a pleasure to do business with.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomG</i>
<br />They're talking about cancelling salmon season in Northern California this year,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do you have any info on this?

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It's a plastic pet food container that our dog outgrew. I heated a piece to over 200* with no burn or distortion, so I think it will hold up to the generator's heat. I'm going to use a 3" dryer connector and vent hose with a 4" to 3" adaptor to the cabinet. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks Tom, always useful to have such ideas in mind, looks great and you headed off my next question about temperature!!

Hope the salmon season issue gets sorted satisfactorily.

Manxman.
Manxman