• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello from Maple Ridge BC

Started by Gmac, June 25, 2012, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Received my first Bradley for fathers day and looking forward to getting started this weekend. Always have been a fan of smoked meats but have never taken the plunge.

One question I have that I am having a problem in finding an answer to, I am a diabetic and would like to limit the amount of sugar I use in my brine's and cures. Has anyone ever tried using Splenda white or brown as a substitute for sugar. It is a derivative of sugar and the white is used one to one as a sub for sugar for all baking and other recipes. Any help would be great.

I am planing on trying the smoked turkey breast for a start into the smoking world, then onto bigger and better.

Cheers,   

Habanero Smoker

Hi Gmac;

Welcome to the forum.

I've never have tried it, but it should work; since Splenda can be used at high temperatures. I would do a test first, with a small batch of brine, and some chicken parts; both white and dark meat. I would do this just to make sure that it does not produce an off-taste that may be undesirable.

Things you can do to reduce sugar or carbohydrates is to use less sugar in the brine, or substitute Agave as the sweetener, if the Splenda doesn't work. Or not use sugar at all, but the harshness of the salt will be very strong.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

vjvl51

Welcome to the smoker's world.  As others tell me, don't forget the pics.   ;D
Vickie
BTDS76P
Ducane 5 burner BBQ

Kahunas

Welcome. My wife is also diabetic so I try to add less processed sugar in my brines. I haven't tried the Agave in a brine yet but a little bit is great in Margaritas. I use a little more than half the sugar that most use in brines. My dry rub is heavy on paprika (similar to what you would find with Arthur Bryants rub) and light on sugar, don't like it super sweet anyway. Play with stuff until you find a happy medium that suits you. I have never tried the Splenda thing in my brines or rubs so I can't help you there. Not that you want to spend more money but if you pick up a Charbroil "The Big Easy" oil less turkey fryer you can fry your bird without oil, and not have to have brines if you don't want to and simple marinades or injections are more than enough flavor. The bird will still be juicy by the way it cooks in the fryer. The basket also fits perfectly in the Bradley so you load the bird in the basket and can smoke it for an hour or two and move the basket to the "fryer" to finish and end up with great crispy skin on it too. Out of an electric smoker the skin kinda turns rubbery and I for one won't eat it that way. Anyway I have found the 2 machines work great together on more than just bird. Do you do ok with friuts? Or is the sugar in them too much for you too? I will sometimes add apples or pears to the brine in place of so much sugar.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

sjmcdowall

Welcome aboard!

The only thing I remember about using Splenda (and it should work fine, they are chemically very similar to each other) is that the little packets do NOT equal the bag/box you buy in the grocery store.  IIRC the packets contain less binder agents ... by about 50% or so! 

Good luck and let us know the results (via pics!)

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Hedlyna

It'll work, but leaves the Splenda taste a little. I'd shoot for the agave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Habanero Smoker

One other thing I forgot to mention, most commercial poultry are already injected with a brine. If you see that it has 5% (some say 2%) solution added; brining the poultry further will have very little benefit. Also kosher chickens are dry brined, and do not need to be brined.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID