• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hamburger recipe?

Started by Phantom Smoker, June 28, 2012, 02:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom Smoker

Need a great hamburger recipe Smoked or not smoked. Want to make somthing new for family. Thanks for any help.

Ka Honu

Beef.  It's what's for dinner.

Kahunas

Boy, burgers is a wide open thing. I still prefer basic ones but sometimes I will go with...
Ground Chuck - how ever much you want depending on how many people are eating and the size of their appetite. I usually go for 1/3 to 1/2 lb burgers.
Mince some onions - go for look, depends on how much beef you are using
Mince garlic - I like a lot of garlic
a TBS or 2 of worcestershire
If you like a little heat, about a half a jalapeno per lb of burger. this will be just a little heat to almost none if you remove the seeds and membranes. Mix as gently as possible and form patties as gently as possible. If you are grinding your own meat, put the other ingredients through the grinder with it. You will want to be as gentle as possible with the meat as to leave it airy, fluffy. This will yield a more tender chewing burger. Let them rest covered in the fridge for an hour or so then salt and pepper and to the smoker. I like to smoke with pecan for an hour or so then finish on the grill. Add whatever cheese you prefer at the end just before removing. Be careful not to over cook the burgers as to dry them out. I like a medium rare burger. I wouldn't with store ground beef but if you grind your own it will be fine.
Serve on a nice soft onion bun with a slice of red onion and topings of your choice. I usually just go with a little mustard and the onion. I also leave off the cheese and let the burger stand on its own.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

sjmcdowall

First off -- make sure to MAKE your own hamburgers -- fresh.  Much better!  You can use just about any combo of beef you like, but chuck is pretty much the standard (although I've thrown in short rib meat too) .. You want about 20% fat to protein ratio for juicy hamburgers.

One extra trick I do, is to add FISH SAUCE (yes, the vietnamese staple).  2 Tbsp / 1 lb of raw meat.  It adds a complex "something" that really enriches the flavor.. boosting the meatiness by a factor of 2 (I did a side by side blind tasting and universally everyone thought the fish sauce hamburgers were more 'beefy' tasting).  I highly recommend 3 crab brand fish sauce (it has 3 blue grabs on the front on a pink label). 

Add other seasonings to your hearts content.

I also think, and it's just me, that pan frying them on a cast iron skillet (that's been way pre-heated) makes the best burgers .. puts a wonderful crust on them ... ala In-n-out or 5-guys..

muebe

Make your own burgers. Make em nice and thick. Don't want no sissy burger :)

Use quality ground chuck. 85/15 is a good mix IMHO.

If you have left over brisket or pulled pork try mixing some into the burger patty. Trust me it is good ;)

Season the outside with Lawry's season salt.

Grill over high heat to medium rare.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Phantom Smoker

Ive made different kinds of burgers before. made some with jalapenos and some with jose cuervo tequila in them. All good but always looking for more ideas.

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

viper125

Well one of the simplest and best is to simply add a dry onion soup mix to your burger. We've done it for years. And yes if you really want a good burger for get the store bought burger and buy a hunk of beef. Really the cheapest will still be better then what they throw in it. But a good roast or even you favorite tasting type steak is the best ever. Now as Im pretty old and worn out and cant chew a steak and enjoy like I use to. I love burgers made from steak. Warning once you
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ragweed

I made this recipe and really liked it.  Go to the Bradley home page, click on recipes.  Scroll down to beef.  Click on prime rib.  "Smoked Beerlicious Prime Rib Burgers".  I know.  Sounds like a sin to make burgers out of PR.  Should work with ground chuck too.

Ka Honu

Just mixed up a combo of ground beef, minced garlic, crumbled blue cheese, minced green onions, Worcestershire, salt, dry mustard, and pepper.  Will probably dress with jack cheese and maybe some jalapenos and let you know how it turns out.  Now I have to remember where I put the camera.

kelpiedg

So the one thing I do to make my burgers different is I add a shot of booze. I have used what ever I have in the cupboard.  I have you used CPT Morgan, Jack Daniels, Scotch, and Southern Comfort. I just give my self a shot and decide if that is the flavor I like for the day. Just don't add to much or your burgers fall apart.  If I'm adding moisture I have learned to use a leaner meat, but not to lean.

Arnold

I just grind up top sirloin in the food processor, just adding olive oil, gray salt and freshly ground pepper.  Alway a winner, with no work.

sjmcdowall

Someone really needs to try my Fish Sauce addition -- I swear guys, it's da bomb.  :)

Hedlyna

I use Montreal steak seasoning and sometimes worcestershire

Adam

Habanero Smoker

If you like some seasoning, McCormick just came out with a couple of hamburger seasonings. I saw them at Sam's Club, and thought I've never gone wrong with any Grill Mates blend. I just tried the Cracked Peppercorn & Worcestershire Seasoning, and it was great. I will try the Texas Smoke House Seasoning tomorrow. Just one tablespoon per pound, or you can shake it on at the table.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)