Heat element not working after storm

Started by williet100, July 01, 2012, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

williet100

I have the 6 rack digital smoker. We had a bad storm and it got blown over from the wind and got rained on. It was not turned on at the time. After drying it out for 2 days, the heat element isn't working. The smoke generator works. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

KyNola

Sorry to hear about your accident.  When you fire up the smoke generator will the oven side of the display on the smoke generator also light up if you try to turn on the oven?  First thing I would do is to make certain that the power jumper cord from the generator to the tower is firmly plugged in at both ends.  It's possible that when it was blown over that the jumper cable may appear to still be plugged in but actually got jarred loose from the impact of the fall.  Next, I would remove the generator from the tower, turn the generator upside down, remove the 8 screws around the perimeter of the bottom of the generator(don't remove the screws in the center of the bottom).  The generator will open clamshell fashion.  Make certain all of the connections in there are firmly connected.  Again, the jar from the fall may have loosened one of the connections.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will fix you. :)  Some folks much more knowledgeable than me will be along to give you different and better suggestions than mine.  Good luck my friend. 

beefmann

ky has you  pointed in the right direction. if ky suggestions dont  work, check with a ohm meter check the resistance of the heat element it should be 30 to 40 ohms  give or take.. if you  have this reading the  element is good and have issues in the tower some place. and needs to be traced down.

you  may want to also check the connections inside the back of the tower they also may have come loose