Kielbasa

Started by Oldman, March 12, 2006, 08:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foam Steak

"Perhaps you might care to work up an idea using the items listed and the what you would do to create the base product."

Here is my shot.  Bone the butt and brown bones in the oven.  When bones are browned put in a large pot add allspice and garlic and cover with water. Simmer for a long time being sure to skim off the scum whenever it appears.  Strain liquid from bone/spice mixture after six hours then cook the liquid down to the quantity you will need to add to the sausage (maybe a quart?).  

Grind the pork butt, mix it with salt, pepper, fresh garlic, (prague #1, ha ha ha [:)]) and the liqour from the bones and allspice.  Stuff, smoke, chill in cold water. Grill Eat.

So am I sort of close, or way off base?

icerat4

Wow thanks alot OLDS.Those will come in handy as i am down to my last few pucks.The shake n back Rat gets the cheese.I will call kirk.Thanks again sir.[:D][:D][:D]

Oldman

Foam I'm impressed with your answer as well. Although I've never browned off the bones you are close on track, and if you want I will also invite you to the private posting board. You are a little off in your order of events,,, but very close.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2"> "Perhaps you might care to work up an idea using the items listed and the what you would do to create the base product."
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">All items needed have been listed this thread... [:p]

BTW Mother said that those that got close to figuring this out that I could share all with what I know.  She just wants all of your monies and your first born child--first.  LOL~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by icerat4</i>
<br />Wow thanks alot OLDS.Those will come in handy as i am down to my last few pucks.The shake n back Rat gets the cheese.I will call kirk.Thanks again sir.[:D][:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I will call Chez when I get up from this Oldman's nap... [:0]

I just called and left a message...there will be a little something more for you as no man should be without pucks... LOL

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

zhongyi

Since Foam's order was off a little bit:

Use the spices as a dry rub for the pork.  Then I would put the bones, allspice and bay leaf in the water for the stock.  When the stock is ready, grind the pork/spice mixture together, blend with the cool stock, stuff.

BigSmoker

I'm as amatuer a sausage maker if there has ever been one[:D] but I know that toasting spices can really bring out their flavor.  I haven't used lots of allspice but I imagine by dry toasting it the flavor would really be brought out.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

zhongyi

Generally, whole spices are toasted before you grind them.  Since the Allspice is used whole, I would think toasting is unnecessary.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zhongyi</i>
<br />Generally, whole spices are toasted before you grind them.  Since the Allspice is used whole, I would thing toasting is unnecessary.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry was just trying to contribute.  Better leave it to the experts like you.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

zhongyi

I am far from being an expert...just a food network junkie.  My zero stars bows down to your 5 stars.

iceman

Hi Olds. Once again you got them going (and thinking).[:D] I love this place!!! Anyhow I'm guessing that the way I'd try it first would be to bone the roast and put the bones in a pot of cold water and add the garlic, whole allspice and bay leaf, then bring it up to a simmer and let it cook until the marrow is rendered out. Then strain the stock and cool it down reserving the garlic. The stock should thicken as it cools. Meanwhile cube up the pork meat and season with salt and pepper and reserved garlic then grind it through an 1/8" plate. Then add enough cooled stock to get the flavor and consistency right. Stuff it into hog casing and smoke cook it until it reaches temp then cool it down and keep in the refer. Now I don't know if I'm even going in the right direction but it's making me hungry just talking about it[:p] Have a good one my friend and eat a link for me[;)]

ChefBill

Old,
  I'm with foam ONLY I would bone the pork and make a broth of the spices and bones, remove the solids and reduce it down and add it to the meat before grinding and stuffing. This would give you the marrow flavor + the spices. I'm discounting the adding of salt, pepper and cure. Ws talking only about allspice & bones..

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

icerat4

OLDS if ya didnt get my email i just wanted to say.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.[:D][:)][;)].Very unexpected thanks again from the icerat4.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

dang i had to work today and missed out on all the fun, i would take the bones and crack them open and bake then in a roasting pan for an hour, then take the grease from the bones and alspice and bay leaves saute for 10 mins then put the bones back into the pot, add some water or beef broth and simmer for 3 more hours, then strain and add to my grind pork,  how about that olds

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by icerat4</i>
<br />OLDS if ya didnt get my email i just wanted to say.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.[:D][:)][;)].Very unexpected thanks again from the icerat4.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Chez is waiting on you to call him.

Cya on Chat night sometime.

Olds

iceman

Dang Smokehouse, that sounds good! You guys are really coming up with some neat ideas (even if it's not the SECRET recipe)it sounds delicious.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />dang i had to work today and missed out on all the fun, i would take the bones and crack them open and bake then in a roasting pan for an hour, then take the grease from the bones and alspice and bay leaves saute for 10 mins then put the bones back into the pot, add some water or beef broth and simmer for 3 more hours, then strain and add to my grind pork,  how about that olds
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">