cleaning the smoker

Started by usmc1142, July 01, 2012, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usmc1142

I'm VERY new to this smoking deal.   What do you use to clean the v-tray?   I just smoked a turkey today and cleaning the tray is taking me as long as smoking the turkey.  any suggestions would be appreciated.  :'( (my hands are getting pruny)

GusRobin

I soak it in some warm/hot water with dish soap. sometimes use a brillo pad. I must admit that I am not a fanatic and my tray is not the cleanest. I just make sure the holes aren't clogged, the "trail" at the bottom of the V is clear, and clean the rest the best I can.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

I use a putty knife to scrape off the hard stuff.  Then I rinse it off with hot water from my water heater in the basement that I keep a hose attached to, mainly for when I clean my bicycle.

Here are some other threads on it:

Cleaning the Drip Tray

Cleaning My DBS

Oxygen Cleaners  <---That's the thread I was originally looking for.

squirtthecat

What they said...

If it gets really funky, hit it with some Dawn Power Dissolver and let it sit for an hour or so, then rinse and scrub again.   That is some nasty stuff, so you'll want to give it a good washing before you put it back in your smoker.

usmc1142

mikecorn.1

I'm a putty knife type with water hose. Ad long as its not gunked up and the drain he is clear I'm good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

also try dish soap with  a degreaser and  oxi clean soak over night then rinse  with a  powerfull stream of water almost good as new and no scrubing

rsherman24

I use the oxi clean and hot water soak over night.  Just some soap and water in the morning with almost no scrubbing and it comes out like new.  Have also tried that power disolver if you don't want to soak it, and that worked well also.

Smoker John

I use similar methods as the others have mentioned and sometimes I'll spray on some oven cleaner & let it penetrate. Lately I have been covering it with foil & slicing thru where the holes are on the tray. It's a little bit of work but cleanup is a breeze.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

muebe

I scrape/rinse the heavy stuff and then toss in the dishwasher.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SoCalBill

WOW I just tried Oxi Clean in a tub of hot water. I soaked the V Tray, Racks, Bowl, and my metal pucks for an hour. They came out looking like new. I needed to run the dishwasher so I threw them in there to finish them off. Nice trick.