Smoking Cheese

Started by js1050, July 03, 2012, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I removed my top adjustment from my smoker, works better that way.

My cold smoked cheese ages for weeks to years before i eat it. IMHO eating smoked cheese the next day is like eating a chunk of lump charcoal  :P

js1050

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 29, 2012, 07:11:48 AM

My cold smoked cheese ages for weeks to years before i eat it. IMHO eating smoked cheese the next day is like eating a chunk of lump charcoal  :P

So your vent is wide open.  What temp do you smoke pork shoulders and for how long?
I may be out of the Marine Corps, but the Marine Corps is in me for life.

Up In Smoke

I usually cook my boston butts at 225 degrees, as far as how long it depends on each individual roast.
I just completed 2, 8lb roasts the first one came out at the 15 hour mark and the second one came out at the 17 hour mark.
i usually don't time them i go by the internal temp.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: js1050 on July 29, 2012, 07:13:31 AM

So your vent is wide open.  What temp do you smoke pork shoulders and for how long?

I only roll smoke to the butts/shoulders in my Bradley for 2 hours (6) pucks then heat the rest. I use a PID to manage my temp and run at 225 until the blade slides out. Can take anywhere from 8- 18 hours. Outside conditions can play a big part on times.

A well seasoned Bradley dont need to much smoke, you will pick smoke up in the heat.

If you have you vent fully closed, condensation can build up and damage the element, moist smoke can back up into the smoke generator and cause damage. Depending on how old your Bradley is, IE Older with the temp control at the bottom faceplate, liquid can drip down onto the slide switch and cause failure when the vent is closed.

js1050

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 29, 2012, 07:21:07 AM
Quote from: js1050 on July 29, 2012, 07:13:31 AM

I only roll smoke to the butts/shoulders in my Bradley for 2 hours (6) pucks then heat the rest. I use a PID to manage my temp and run at 225 until the blade slides out. Can take anywhere from 8- 18 hours. Outside conditions can play a big part on times.

A well seasoned Bradley dont need to much smoke, you will pick smoke up in the heat.

If you have you vent fully closed, condensation can build up and damage the element, moist smoke can back up into the smoke generator and cause damage. Depending on how old your Bradley is, IE Older with the temp control at the bottom faceplate, liquid can drip down onto the slide switch and cause failure when the vent is closed.

It looks like I have dodged a bullet.  I'll have to pay closer attention which sucks because I prefer to do things that take minimal effort....

KyNola

I'm betting your 16 pounds of pork is far from ruined.  I'm betting it will be moist and flavorful when you pull it.  I think your biggest problem is your cooking temp of 200.  On larger pieces such as a butt I usually go at 225 at least.  16 pounds of pork is a big load to cook with a 500 watt lightbulb equivalent.  The dry petrified look is the bark forming on the outside of the butt.

Be patient and wait for the IT of the pork to reach 190-200 and then pull and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

js1050

Quote from: KyNola on July 29, 2012, 08:50:42 AM
I'm betting your 16 pounds of pork is far from ruined.  I'm betting it will be moist and flavorful when you pull it.  I think your biggest problem is your cooking temp of 200.  On larger pieces such as a butt I usually go at 225 at least.  16 pounds of pork is a big load to cook with a 500 watt lightbulb equivalent.  The dry petrified look is the bark forming on the outside of the butt.

Be patient and wait for the IT of the pork to reach 190-200 and then pull and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thanks, my original "Panic" has subsided.  I cut into one of the shoulders and got blood....  back into the cooker and up the temp a little.

And thanks for all of the advice.  Hopefully I will have juicy pulled pork for dinner.

KyNola

You can always move them to your house oven now that the smoking process is over if you're concerned about them taking too long to have for dinner tonight.

js1050

Quote from: KyNola on July 29, 2012, 09:58:27 AM
You can always move them to your house oven now that the smoking process is over if you're concerned about them taking too long to have for dinner tonight.

Another six hours in the smoker at 220 did the trick.  Now that I will be smoking with the vent wide open (I removed the adjustable cover) I will heed the advice given here and smoke at 220.

Thanks to all who weighed in!

Jason

KyNola

Butts turn out OK?  That's all that is important. :)

js1050

Quote from: KyNola on July 29, 2012, 07:21:14 PM
Butts turn out OK?  That's all that is important. :)

And how.  Dinner was excellent, and I put up several lbs in food saver bags for the freezer.

Habanero Smoker

I am not one that believes moist air equals moist meat. I use the vent opening to control the temperature; which includes controlling the moisture build up inside the cabinet. I rarely leave mine full open, and generally run it 1/2 to 3/4 open; depending on what I am cooking. For chicken with skin (and picnic shoulders with skin), I will run the vent wide open at least the first half of the cooking time, and at times will adjust it to 3/4 or 1/2 it the later part of the cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

My vent has been stuck wide open for yeeeeears