• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bangers & Brats & Breakfast..oh my!

Started by Kevin A, July 04, 2012, 07:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

I had a request from my sons to make some brats to grill for the 4th of July holiday.
Since I had a boneless 15lb butt thawed & ready to go, I thought I'd split it up and make several different sausages besides the Brats.
So I ground up the butt & divided it up into three large bowls and made three different sausages.

I was unable to take many photos this time as the wife had the camera to capture the local parades & events around town.

I was able to take a 'final' shot of the trio:
All stuffed:

All 3 are fairly simple recipes, and got a thumbs-up during the 'tasting portion' (pre-stuffing) from my son.
Anyways, I was very pleased at how all three came out. None are very difficult to make, but I think you'll be happy with the results if you decide to give them a try.

Kevin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'Jimmy Dean-Style' came about after trying several recipes, trial & error & choosing ingredients that work well in a good breakfast sausage. Previously, I missed the mark on breakfast sausages, but these come pretty close to the Jimmy Dean flavor profile.

Jimmy Dean-like Breakfast Links
(makes 5 pounds)
5 lb pork butt, ground
36g kosher salt (about 5 tsp)
1.0 g ground sage  (little over a tsp)
2g red pepper flakes (add more to your taste)
2g thyme leaves (little over a tsp)
3g black pepper (1.5 tsp)
2.5g ground coriander ( (little over a tsp)
Optional: 1/3 cup real maple syrup**
**I find it too sweet & dont add it.
20-24 Sheep casings (or make a large chub to slice!)

The English Bangers I made were a favorite of my son BEFORE he was diagnosed with celiac two years ago. Most bangers contain some rusk or wheat/gluten filler, so the version I made was GF (gluten-free). Really nice flavor, mild with a nice hint of ginger & sage.

GF English Breakfast Bangers
(makes 5 pounds)
5 lb pork butt, ground
2 tbl Kosher Salt (44g)
2 tsp ground sage
1.5 tsp white Pepper
¾ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp Mace
4 slices bread* (toasted & ground-up in processor)
1.5 cups water or chicken broth
32mm Pork casings; tied off into 3-4" lengths.
* I used gluten-free bread

Mix all ingredients until a nice sticky paste is formed. Then stuff into casings or make patties.

Cheddar Bratwurst
(makes 5 pounds)
5 lb pork butt, ground
5 tsp Kosher Salt
5 tsp sugar
1 Tbl Ground Coriander
1 Tbl Ground Sage
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
1 tbl Dry Mustard
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Nutmeg
8 oz Cheddar cheese, cubed in ¼" pieces
1 cup cold water
32mm Pork casings; tied off into 6" lengths.

Mix all ingredients (except cheese) until a sticky paste forms. Gradually mix in the cheese cubes until they are thoroughly distributed. Stuff into 32mm casings. Grill or fry.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Yeah what he said up above ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Chili Head

viper125

looks Great Kevin! Just wondering if you have a recipe for BoB Evans type. Not sure whats different but never liked Jimmy dean, but my wife does. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Kevin A

Quote from: viper125 on July 04, 2012, 10:57:50 AM
looks Great Kevin! Just wondering if you have a recipe for BoB Evans type. Not sure whats different but never liked Jimmy dean, but my wife does. LOL
Sorry, I don't have a Bob Evans recipe. I don't think I've had or seen Bob Evans in the local markets here on the Left Coast.

Kevin

Sailor

You done went and done a perfect sampling of sausage.  Great job my friend!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

viper125

Ok thanks big seller her. A more spicier less fat I think. Jimmy dean kind of reminds me of some Canadian links Ive ate. Good but not my favorite. Great job though!
Id love to tast all those.
Inside setup.

SiFumar

Here the Jimmy Dean is less fatty...but add some butter for roux and make dang good sausage gravy!  You made some awesome sausage as usual..worth trying!

viper125

Inside setup.

Sam3

Excellent job Kevin! I really like that cheddar Brat recipe!

Kevin A

Quote from: Sam3 on July 05, 2012, 03:03:19 AM
Excellent job Kevin! I really like that cheddar Brat recipe!
Thanks, Sam. I was happy with the brat recipe & after grilling some last night, they got family approval.  ;)

One note regarding fresh herbs—here's where 'tasting' prior to stuffing is helpful. Some fresh herbs (like sage & rosemary) can really pack a punch with strong flavor. Use too much & you overwhelm everything else. I tend to be VERY conservative in adding amounts at first, then adjust if necessary after tasting a bit. I've ruined a few batches by simply following a recipe that says "2 tsp sage" and winding up with something too 'sagey' for my tastes. Rosemary is pretty strong when fresh, so if you plan on using 'fresh' in this brat recipe, best to use less than specified & bump it up after tasting.

Kevin

pikeman_95

Those look great Kevin. Did any of them make it through the holiday??

Kevin A

Quote from: pikeman_95 on July 05, 2012, 11:25:39 AM
Those look great Kevin. Did any of them make it through the holiday??
Ha, Kirby! Yes, I'm happy to report I've still a load of 'em after the 4th. The boys didnt completely wipe them out.
After they spent the night in the fridge (the sausages, that is), I 'food-savered' the remaining sausages for later use.
Half the Jimmy deans are gone; 1/3 of the bangers, and I've about 14 brats left (from the original 30). The cost of having 3 young men in the house.... ;)

Kevin

OU812

Great lookin pile of sausages ya got there Kevin

I am planning on makin a bunch of sausage this weekend.