• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Getting ready for a wedding.

Started by viper125, July 06, 2012, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well didn't figure with this big cookout coming I would be down with this spinal problems. But the smoke must go on! So took out 4 nice pork shoulders and 2 nice fresh(uncured) hams to cure. So plan is unthaw in refrigerator. Put two in to cure for sliced ham and start the others smoking for pulled pork on the 4th of August. Right now its around 80 people or better so should be fun. Also bought the 8 chafing pans my friend had. They will look great and help a lot. Also got a event tent ordered for tables out side. 20 x 24 . Between the 2 car garage and the event tent should be plenty of room. With any luck all the meats and things will be foiled wrapped in small packages in foil and kept to temps in a roaster after cooking. I figure this way we can add 1-2 packs at a time to keep food fresher and warm. Since those pans are usually around 140-145 I'm afraid at those temps any thing over 2-3 hours might be dangerous. May even try iceing a couple pans down to keep some cold. Not sure how well that will work. But see no reason it won't. spend more time talking to you all then most my family. and i've come to trust most your opinions. So figures if you see any thing Im doing wrong Id give you a chance to get involved and make suggesting that your worried about or even to suggest things. Im also sure if any ones in the neighborhood that day there should be plenty of food to go around.
So let this Party begin.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SiFumar

I sure hope you have some help with this!  I can't offer advice...but send you my best wishes!

Hedlyna

I agree Bout the temp being to low, I believe I'd do as you were thinking and ice it until needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KyNola

V, the pork that you will be serving whether it be ham or pulled pork will be fully smoked and cooked and packaged, right?  With 80 folks eating at the same time I wouldn't worry about the chafing pans only being 140-145 for serving as you are keeping the packs of meat up to temp in roasters.  The chafing pans are the same thing as "hold warm" on your microwave or your house oven.  As for icing pans down, not sure why you would do that at all.

I'm sure someone will come along and give you good advice but I think you're over thinking this but I'm not the Food Police.  Just my opinion though.

viper125

Well the icing was to keep some cold dishes cold. As its apt to be warm out side.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Inside setup.

Ka Honu

Hmmm... Ice to keep food cold.  That could work. (Am I helpful or what?)*

*That was a rhetorical question

Habanero Smoker

I have a gathering of family and friends about twice a year, but the group is around 30 - 40. Keeping cold food cold is just as important as keeping hot food hot. Placing ice under the pans of cold food works very well, and I generally will give the food an occasionally stir. I use full steam pans to hold the ice and place half steam pan inside packing the ice as much as possible.

Also if you add some salt to the ice, it will lower the temperature more. I know it sounds crazy but it works. A quick Google will give you the explanation on how it works. I use a kosher salt, because it has larger crystal. You don't need much salt, place a layer of ice, sprinkle 1 or 2 tablespoons of salt, another layer of ice; add salt etc. Add more ice throughout the day, as needed, but only drain off any liquid only when you have to.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: viper125 on July 06, 2012, 10:19:12 PM
Well the icing was to keep some cold dishes cold. As its apt to be warm out side.
Sorry V, I misunderstood your previous post where you talked about icing some of the pans down.  I thought you were referring to keeping some of the pork cold while serving. D'OH! :P

beefmann

looks like your hands will be full

viper125

No problem,My brain knows what it wants to say. But my mouth cant express it some times.LOL Well I have trow dinners and organized throw quite a few benefits and dinners for the county sportsman federation. So size don't scare me. I am familiar with quite a bit of this. But always appreciate advise and never overlook the wisdom of others.
Cold items like pasta salad I figured Id ice. Thanks Habs Ive heard that before and totally for got.
Hot items such as pulled pork and sliced ham different finger foods. These I figure fix ahead and put in foil packs with some cider for liquid to keep moist till time to serve. Actuall starting to smoke soon. LOL

As for help probably me and the wife. Always friends and relatives help too.
Inside setup.

pikeman_95

Paul
I have no advice on how to store or serve your food but please recruit some help. You need some help from family or friends.  For now you should be the supervisor and not the doer. We both need to take it easy. I took a fall today when a chair leg I was setting on broke. I was helping a young friend fix a outboard motor that he needed a little help with. It is hard to not still go full throttle.
Kirby

viper125

Thanks Kirby! Hope you didn't get hurt to bad. Well I hate sitting and giving orders. But have been learning to do it some. Also my wife and family are pretty good at pitching in when needed. My kids are real good for helping and watching out to much for me. @#$%$###$$%! But will try to. Get that back looked out before it gets worse. Im got to go monday at 7 so hopefully they'll rake care of it. Good luck!
Inside setup.