Worms and my new farm

Started by Oldman, June 12, 2004, 12:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

<b><i>NO CHEZ YOU CANNOT HAVE THEM FOR SMOKING~~~~GROW YOUR OWN!</b></i>

As many of you know my pineapples have now about 120 pups (Slips) and suckers. This created a new problem for me. What to grow them in? What was I going to do to accelerate turning new the soiless mixture in to a fast growing/ living Micro-Society? I'm about 3-5 months out from having to plant them. Well I jump on the net and looked for worm growers. While I have worms in my established containers there sure are not enough of them to add to another 40 new growth containers.  Well it turns out there is a guy just on the other side of the bay from me, who as a part time income grows and sells worms.

Before I tell you a little about him I would like you to know that I don't make it a habit of  recommending anyone. After spending some time with him to I figured I could make an exception. He turned out to be just a good ole Florida boy like myself. He has been messing with worms since he was a kid. Now he does not take credit cards and when someone orders from him over the net it is prepaid only. I know that in today's world that is not the norm; however, after spending quite some time with him today I would not worry about prepaying for the worms. After looking over his worms I can say he has got to be the Heinz 57 of worm growers. You want it he's got it.

Anyway if any one would like his web addy then PM or E-mail me. He has some down to earth good advice and formulations on his web-site. When you see his site it kind of fits him....just a good ole boy doing business the old fashion way. Person to person.

Below are pictures of my new Earthworms and  farm. These worms will breed in a container.

In this first picture he just scratched the top of the box I purchased and they said in the move Dune: <i> I see worm sign!</i>

In this picture you can see a worm egg that is about to hatch.

In this picture these are native Florida worms he calls "Jumpers." You touch one and the name fits~~~them puppies can move! LOL!

In this last picture I have added the worms to one of my growth containers. Added the food. Fill the water reservoir, and added a radiant  barrier as this container get much sun.

While I have worms in my established containers, they got there on their there own. This will be an interesting experience for me. A new chapter in my journey of organic growing.

Olds,
BTW On gardening forums should you ever run across a Pineapple_Raye that is me! LOL Too funny uh? [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

Mmmmmmmmmmmm....smoked jumping puppy worms with a hint of pineapple!

Seriously Olds, won't that box roast them in the sun?

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

Fuzzy, Smoke em with mesquite and habanaro sauce washed down with to kill ya!LMAO[:D][:D][V]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

Olds,

Ya better wash your hands before coming to dinner![;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Fuzzy Bear,

No this box will not roast them. That radiant barrier will kick back over 70% of the heat that the box normally would recieve. What you cannot really see is on the far side of the box there is an area of a foot or so the top does not cover. Plus these worms are the type that can take 80-90 degree soil temp.. Not like your Nothern worms that need 50-60 degree soil.  

If that box had plants in it then I would not use this barrier, as the shade and hydration from the plants would cool the box.

I spent a great deal of time reseaching this, and hopefully the information I found is correct. If not I will know soon enough!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Heh he he Now <b><i>Chez you cannot drink my worm beer either....</b></i> It is brewing as I post. It has been innoculated with Effective Microorganisms/ cultures (EM) The beer consist of Molasses, pure clear extracted Black Castings Extract (natural worm gut micro-organisims), EM and non-chemical water~~~

On the funny side there are folks who do drink this stuff. Not for the high but for their health...LOL! Personally I will take a Bud. But this stuff does smell good~~~! LOL!

ChefJeff

Olds, How about pineapple to kill ya? with a worm in the bottle.[?][;)][:D]Cabo Yabo[?][?]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

ChefJeff

Olds, How about pineapple to kill ya? with a worm in the bottle.[?][;)][:D]Cabo Yabo[?][?]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN