Gonna smoke pork cushions tonight!

Started by 4given, July 12, 2012, 11:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

:'( :'(  Sort of happened to me in another smoker I have. The pellets got stuck and did not feed into the auger to go into the firepot.  >:(    I had set my et732 and  cought it in time. Luckly Ive never had that problem in my Bradley 4 rack.  :)
Mike

4given

So an IT of 200F would not kill any pathogens that may have formed during the night?  Also what about the cure (jans rub) and the smoke? Wouldn't they inhibit any growth?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

squirtthecat

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 13, 2012, 07:58:15 AM
:'( :'(  Sort of happened to me in another smoker I have. The pellets got stuck and did not feed into the auger to go into the firepot.  >:(   

The dreaded 'cone'...   

KyNola

Quote from: 4given on July 13, 2012, 08:00:53 AM
So an IT of 200F would not kill any pathogens that may have formed during the night?  Also what about the cure (jans rub) and the smoke? Wouldn't they inhibit any growth?
Jan's Rub is in no way a cure.  It is simply a flavoring rub.  Please don't confuse the two. 

As I said earlier, I will yield to others who are much more knowledgeable than me but I simply would not risk it.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: 4given on July 13, 2012, 08:00:53 AM
Larry beat me to it. Its a delicious rub that at times Ive been known to sprinkle in my hands and eat by itself  ;D. 
Got this from the USDA site " If raw meats have been mishandled (left in the "Danger Zone" too long), bacteria may grow and produce toxins which can cause foodborne illness. Those toxins that are heat resistant are not destroyed by cooking. Therefore, even though cooked, meat and poultry mishandled in the raw state may not be safe to eat even after proper preparation."

Mike

4given

I am so bummed.................................... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

KyNola

Don't be bummed.  I guarantee you every single one of us on this forum have had to throw meat away because of some sort of unfortunate mistake or series of events.  Some of us have had to do that more than once. :o (Not me of course ;D)  Go buy some more cushions and get them in there.  Chalk the price of the tossed meat as the cost of a lesson learned.

It happens to us all.

standles

I guess I will fess up..

I  have tossed meat several times  :o

4given

Better to toss out.......... than to TOSS UP! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I had my wife pull them out and throw them away. They didn't smell even right...yuck! :P

I stopped at Cash & Carry and bought two boneless pork butts. They are a little more per pound but all in all it only cost me about 5 bucks more. I'll try cushions another day.

I got the butts rubbed and in the smoker... and ALL the red lights are glowing this time! ;)

I'll post picks when they are done.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

squirtthecat

Now you're talking!   Back in the saddle, again!

KyNola

Dere you go 4given!  It's all good. :)

mikecorn.1

Maybe I missed it, but do you monitor the Bradley with a remote thermometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Glad to hear you threw them out.

Better safe than sorry ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Up In Smoke

Quote from: standles on July 13, 2012, 04:44:07 PM
I guess I will fess up..

I  have tossed meat several times  :o
When in doubt throw it out!
I have never seen the neighbors dogs eating anything i messed up in the smoker  ::) ::)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

4given

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 14, 2012, 05:28:41 AM
Maybe I missed it, but do you monitor the Bradley with a remote thermometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I monotor the meat temp remotely with a 1 channel Maverick but not the cabnet temp. I foolishly bought a single channel before I read what you guys were all doing. I'll probably get one down the road. I did get my frog mats last week and am trying them out on this smoke! Hoping it makes cleanup easier.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100