Smoked baked beans

Started by icerat4, March 17, 2006, 02:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Bill,
Beans will get crunchy after a while even if they are cooked at low temps.  give it a whirl as canned beans are pretty cheap.  I could be wrong as this is new territory for me.  I do know the bean recipe Olds posted before rocks but it is a different dish[:D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />I will only be smoking at 205°F.  Think they will still dry out?  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill,
Sounds like a good idea, but 24 hours is a long time, and most dehydrators work at a temperature of 140; so there is a possibility of at least the top layer drying. I would give them an occasional stir, or at some point cover with foil. I'll be interested in learning how this went.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Well, I did the pork starting at 5:00 p.m. Friday afternoon, and it came out of the smoker for FTC at 5 p.m. on Saturday.  The beans were left in for approximately 8 hours, and the taste was pretty intense. The bacon and the pork dripping into the beans was a good idea.  I think I will probably add some of the butt to the beans to add to the chopped up bacon that came from the top rack - 1 lb raining down for 8 hrs.  Next time probably 4 hours is enough.  I stirred them twice during the smoke, once at 4 hours and again again at 6 and 8.  Decision to take out at 8 hrs.

As usual, pork butt was great.  I sure do enjoy the pulled pork half of a sandwich...get full to the top with just half a roll and about 4 oz of butt.  Definitely going to vacuum pack and freeze.

Post surgery on my stomach, my capacity is only a little more than size of an egg.  Still enjoy the taste, just can't eat any more than a little at a time.

I like the new website...sure is a lot easier to search for stuff!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Bill;
I think I will give one a try. Thanks for reporting back on how the bake beans came out.

I haven't had time to check out the site that much. For myself, it's going to take a little time to get use to, but I already observed it is much faster. I know I am going to go overboard (at least occasionally) with the editing tools.  8)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

IKnowWood

Bill

Those sounds like some great beans.  Did you use the enitre smoked 1lb of bacon in the beans?  Was the liquid loss something to worry about?
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nsxbill

No real loss of fluid to speak of.  Actually with all the fat going down, glad I removed some of the beans to allow room for the (gasp!) fat that was in the beans. ::) ;D

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

IKnowWood

So much you had to skim?  Or it blended in Ok. 

Sure, Pig Fat rules.  But to much and it begins to taste like just Pig.  A goot baked beans has many complex and rich flavors.

Thanks again for the review...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes