Smoked baked beans

Started by icerat4, March 17, 2006, 02:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hey anyone do bush baked beans.I plan on putting them in with the ribs and bacon on the top shelf.How long is long enough for the beans to be smoked.Also i am putting onions mixed in the beans too.

GrillinFool

I have done beans. I put them in a pan under the meat and let the fat drip off the meat into the beans. I smoke them along with the meat. They were ok but I have had better luck stirring pulled pork into the beans while slow cooking them on the stove.

Putting a good amount of pulled pork in beans makes them really hearty and smokey. I freeze small bags of pulled pork just for this reason. You can drop a frozen block right into the beans while you cook them on the stove.

The Grillin Fool

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GrillinFool</i>
<br />Putting a good amount of pulled pork in beans makes them really hearty and smokey. I freeze small bags of pulled pork just for this reason. You can drop a frozen block right into the beans while you cook them on the stove.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Excellent idea GF! I've got some pulled pork that I vacuumed sealed and froze a few weeks ago. I love's baked beans, so I'm going to give this one a try for sure. [:p]

Bubbagump

jaeger

bubbagump,
Here is another baked bean recipe for you to try.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1831

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br />bubbagump,
Here is another baked bean recipe for you to try.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1831
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks Doug. This recipe is close to the recipe my mother used when making baked beans. She used Van de Kamp pork and beans instead of the Bush beans and didn't use the maple syrup. Other than that everything else was the same.

I like the idea of using Bush beans as they're much more flavorful right out of the can and the syrup sounds like a nice addition. I'll have to give this one a try too. [:)]

Bubbagump

icerat4

Well i did the bush bean with onions and pepper on top.AAA++++.Very good smoked 31/2 hours nice.[:D][:D]crowd pleaser.[:p]

iceman

This all sounds real good guys but BE CAREFUL! We don't want all you folks eating beans at the same time in the same area. Mother nature needs time to (clear the air)! Sorry, just couldn't help it.[:o)] Good looking recipes. I'll be trying them for sure. Thanks for sharing everyone.

icerat4

Well my honda accord will run on this gas very well its the next gen of auto next to the hybrid cars.Just have to find a way to contain it.LOL[:p]

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />This all sounds real good guys but BE CAREFUL! We don't want all you folks eating beans at the same time in the same area. Mother nature needs time to (clear the air)!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good advice. This may accelerate global warming. [:D]

Bubbagump

nsxbill

Hi Fellow Smoke Heads!

I am going to do about 18# of pork butt this weekend, and thought I might try beans underneath to catch the drippings while I smoke.  I know it has been done before, but trying it for the first time.

I picked up  a large can of Bush's beans, and will place on lower shelf.  With bacon raining down on pork and then the drippings into the beans, should be pretty tasty.  Going to also smoke some onions on the open shelf space, and thought I would dice it up, along with the smoked bacon from the top shelf once smoke is completed.

Suggestions and feedback?  Tried this?  How was it for you?  Leave the beans in for the entire smoke?  I usually allow 24 hrs in the smoker for the low and slow cook.  Think the beans should be in for the duration too?

Sorry I have been on the down low.   Just started working nights awhile back, and with the 1 hr and 20 min commute one way, then my 1-1.5 hr swim on the way home in the a.m., just been checking the posts once in awhile to see what people are doing these days.

With trying to get some sleep, and spending some quality time with the little woman, not as much time in the day left.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

icerat4

Well ive done these bush beans with the onions chopped in and pepper mixed in all together and smoked for 4 hours this is way plenty. the taste is not overpowering.I wouldnt smoke them any longer then that but like everyone says here to each is own.The four hours was plenty and thats the reaction i got when serving them to folks.I used LIGHT pucks apple alder I think the hickory and mistque would be more power taste to them in a shorter time.

nsxbill

I was going to leave them in for the entire 24 hrs so pork butt and bacon would drip into beans.  I only apply smoke for 4 hours on anything I do as maximum time.  Anyone left the beans in for the entire time?

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Sounds like they would dry out even if under the meat [V]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

That's a valid point Jeff, but under the butt-rain, they might stay good. I don't know, it's one of those try-it-and-see moments. Hopefully Bill reports the results & his recommendations for tweaking the process.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

I will only be smoking at 205°F.  Think they will still dry out?  

Bill