Bratwurst

Started by ratherbboating, July 13, 2012, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

Been busy last week and today making sausage and Canadian bacon.
Here is my second batch (10 lbs this time) this year of bratwurst, followed lpoli site on "Johnsonville Brats".  They turn out good, again.  Think this is my favorite of all the sausages I have made so far (Chroizo is a close second).

Using my new stuffer (never knew how much I needed one, somebody tell my wife it was not a waste of money)

All wrapped up and ready for the freezer.

And a picture of the final product of Canadian bacon.

Will post today's project later.

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

squirtthecat

Looks great!

Tell your wife you need a new grinder now..   ;)

Up In Smoke

That's looking real good.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mikecorn.1

Looks great. Now some shots of the Brats cooking  ;)
Mike

SiFumar

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 13, 2012, 12:36:11 PM

Looks great!

Tell your wife you need a new grinder now..   ;)

I was thinking that too!  Way to much to do by hand!

rajzer

No offense, but that is not Canadian bacon.  Canadian Bacon is made from a pork back loin.  What you made, and it looks great and I'm sure tasty, is smoked tenderloin.

Up In Smoke

Quote from: rajzer on July 13, 2012, 07:09:21 PM
No offense, but that is not Canadian bacon.  Canadian Bacon is made from a pork back loin.  What you made, and it looks great and I'm sure tasty, is smoked tenderloin.
do you make chili?
how about spaghetti sauce?
or maybe soups?
these are all made to personal tastes, mine is different than yours and i would like to think just as good if not better.
I myself consider this a different version, that someone was gracious enough to share with us
after all, that is why we are here....to share.
No offense intended.

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

rajzer

Of course I make soup.  But if I make tomato soup I don't call it mushroom soup.

NePaSmoKer

Nice brats and CB

Tip

when you make brats, put them on a parchment and freeze b4 you vac seal. This way the vac wont squish the fresh sausage.

All looks very tasty and thanks for posting pics.

Then all you get is and then this

Sailor

Hey Mrs ratherbboating, it was not a waste of money having hubby buy a stuffer.  Now all he needs is a grinder.  ;D  Nice job on those brats.  Now days I do not have any desire to hand grind. But it does remind me of the days way back when a hand grinder is all we had.  Mom would have us kids turn the crank while she stuffed meat.  We did ice cream the old fashion way too.  Come to think of it ........some good times to remember!

Nice job on the Brats and thanks for bringing back some memories.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ratherbboating

The Canadian bacon followed Habanero Smoker recipe in the GSreader closely.  It stayed in the refrigerator 6 days "curing" .While it is not the "loin", it is a lean, flavorful cut of pork, in the same area of the pig.  And it did not last long at my house, I cooked 4 of these (beginning/wet weight almost 10 lbs), and end up with about 6.5 lbs, after curing and smoking.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

watchdog56

If your wife thinks a stuffer is a waste of money, just have her help you stuff the sausage with a grinder and see how long that takes versus using a stuffer. I am sure she will change her mind after a couple of stuffs ;)

ratherbboating

NePaSmoKer, I know about freezing them before putting into a freezer bag.  But just forgot, make a note to self:  Freeze so that the brats come out nice and straight.  When you are trying to do a hundred things at one time, you forget some of the simpler things. 
Thanks to all the guys and girls on this site for all the GREAT posts and comments.