Prepared Mustard

Started by Foam Steak, March 17, 2006, 08:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foam Steak

My wife was looking over my shoulder the last time I made an order with Butcher Packer and she said "Hey why don't you get a few pounds of mustard seed so we can make some mustard".  That was a good idea, but I did not have a recipe for prepared mustard.  

After searching on the web I found some advice and a few recipes.  The advice was:
1. If you are using whole seeds soak them for 2 to 12 hours before using.
2. Do not heat the mustard in any way or you will loose some of the flavor.
3. Leave the prepared mustard out until it tastes the way you like it, then refrigerate. Apparently it gets hotter when it sits out?
4. Making prepared mustard is easy. Just mix it with whatever you want until it tastes good.

So for my first effort I am soaking 1/2 cup of seeds in Tequila/lime juice and Salt.  Later this evening I am going to mix these seeds with 1/4 cup of ground mustard and a tablespoon of tumeric.  Wish me luck.

My questions for all of you are:
Do you have any other words of advice?
Do you have a tried and true mustard recipe that you would care to share?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

foam , wow that sounds interesting, keep us posted[:)]

BigSmoker

I think most preparred mustard also has tumeric and vinegar.  Oops you got the tumeric.  Keep us posted sounds like you can't mess it up to bad[;)]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

ChefBill

I learned one thing years ago about MUSTARD. It'll blow your doors off if your prepare it right. I love what's known as "Chinese Mustard" with egg rolls because it was hot as hell. So one day many, many years ago I asked an Ol' Chinese cook at a restaurant how they made the stuff. He just laughed and in a broken English said.
You need secret ingredients, I thought,"hell here we go", then he said Powdered mustard + cold water.... Turned out it was so simple it was ridiculous...
1 Tbsp. Colemans (or any brand) ground dry Mustard + just enough cold water to make a paste. let sit 1 minute and that's it.
This dam* stuff should carry a warning label: "May cause temporary insanity & blindness"...... I think it becomes radioactive when mixed and glows in the dark.. WARNING: Don't exhale thru your nose after tasting it.[:0]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

Foam Steak

Good Day All,
Hope all of your St. Pattys Day celebrations were a success.  My lovely wife came home last night with a little guinnes for me.  She also was wearing some of those mardi-gras beads.  Wonder how she got them? I didnt ask.

Anyway,

Last night I mixed up the ingredients with water and distilled white vinegar until I got the consistency I wanted.  Then I started tasting and adding salt and honey until I sort of got the flavor I wanted.  To tell you guys the truth I was a little disapointed. But this morning what a change! Tastes great.  Last night the Tequila was a little strong, today it has mellowed and the mustard has sort of blumed into a more typically "mustardy" flavor.  I am really not sure if I like the tequila flavor or not but the mustard is pretty danged good. I imagine the characture will continue to change over time.  My hope is it gets even better.  I will keep everyone posted.

So far here is what I have learned.
1. 3/4 cup of seeds for a first try is probably excessive unless you eat mustard on everything.  My next experiment will be on a much smaller quantity.
2. The flavors REALLY change over time.  Be patient.

You all have a good day.  I have to get to an archery tournament.

Sincerely,

Leif

icerat4

I love hot mustard.Is that it chefbill ground mustard and water stir til a thick paste.Some chinese secret.Which mustard is the best out there to make it as hot as possible i love hot stuff.How long do you leave it sit or is it a stir up and use it right away or do you have to let it sit awhile before serving it. Thanks for sharing its the little things that make me happy lol.[8D]

iceman

Chinese powdered mustard is a little differant than colemans but not to far off. Water makes it hot. Beer makes it even hotter and vinegar will curl your toes up. As Raymond the Chinese cook would say (OH ****ta!!!). I was told that you mix it in a small bowl thick enough to stick to it then turn the bowl upside down on the counter and let it sit for a few hours then chow down. Great with sesame seed and BBQ pork slices.[:p] BTW icerat did you get the pictures I sent you?

ChefBill

Rat,
I just use Colemans dry mustard and make a paste with it. Let it sit about 1-2 minutes and it'll be hot. Never tried it using beer but save a bottle to chase the mustard with.[}:)]  Bill

ChefBill

Foam Steak

I think with mustard powder you can just mix and eat.  The stuff I am making has whole seeds in it, so I think they need time to absorb the vinegar/water/tequila/beer/whatever.

Icerat4, Have you ever messed around with Wasabi?  Japanese horseradish?  I think a little of that in your mustard powder could possibly make the hottest mustard concoction on earth.  Let me know how that works out for you.

iceman

I think your on to something there FS. That sounds kind of good. I'm going to try that tomorrow with some egg rolls. Hope this isn't like hot peppers though, hot in - hot out kind of thing! Did I hear someone say ICECREAM?[:o)]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Foam Steak</i>
<br />I think with mustard powder you can just mix and eat.  The stuff I am making has whole seeds in it, so I think they need time to absorb the vinegar/water/tequila/beer/whatever.

Icerat4, Have you ever messed around with Wasabi?  Japanese horseradish?  I think a little of that in your mustard powder could possibly make the hottest mustard concoction on earth.  Let me know how that works out for you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

ChefBill

Iceman,
Both hot mustard & Horse radish dissappear fast in you mouth. Not like dem damn peppers what hang in there forever.[:0]

ChefBill

iceman

Thanks ChefBill. We tried it last night and loved it. The folks next door to us just love it when we try things out with them. I did a Cajun grilled salmom wonton wrap and deep fried them then used the mustard for a dipping sauce along with a sweet-n-sour sauce. Two thumbs up and no left overs on the platter.[:D]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br />Iceman,
Both hot mustard & Horse radish dissappear fast in you mouth. Not like dem damn peppers what hang in there forever.[:0]

ChefBill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Foam Steak

Mustard Report Day 3

The mustard tastes good.  Not award winning, but good.  I really like the whole seeds.  They are like little mustard caviar popping in my mouth. I think for the next batch I will cut down on the amount of ground mustard, maybe add just enought to sort of bind the whole seeds together.  I will also bag the tequila and just use vinegar.  Maybe just try distilled white vinegar so I can get sort of a baseline flavor and advance from there.  I also need to use another source for seeds.  Maybe try to mix it up with some brown AND yellow seeds.  I think the ones from Butcher Packer were all yellow.

Foamy Out

acords

Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />The folks next door to us just love it when we try things out with them. I did a Cajun grilled salmom wonton wrap and deep fried them then used the mustard for a dipping sauce along with a sweet-n-sour sauce.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Iceman - I wonder if your neighbors realize how lucky they are living next door. [;)]

Bubbagump