6 lbs Brisket, I have a few questions

Started by IAPILOT, July 17, 2012, 08:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAPILOT

Hi guys, I am doing my first brisket. It is 6 lbs and I used "Jan's Rub spicy" I am using Hickory with every 4th puck apple. I plan to use smoke for 4 hours than take the pucks off & leave it at 220 for a total of 7 hours. I do have a spray bottle with apple juice to keep it moist. Here are my questions.
How often do you spray it?
How long do I need to let it rest?
Should I use more than 4 hours of smoke?
Is 180* meat temp ok?

Anything else I should do?

Thanks for your help. 

Hedlyna

If you're using the Bradley and spray with apple juice, each time you open the door you're adding time to your cooking because you'll lose a lot of your heat. And don't count on it being done in 7 hours, probably around ten if you're running at 225. Better start earlier than that, when it reaches temp, (most people I've seen on here take it to 185) FTC for at least an hour and a half preferably 3.

Adam

Ka Honu

Quote from: IAPILOT on July 17, 2012, 08:32:18 AMHow often do you spray it? I don't, but I usually do a full packer and the (trimmed) fat cap and ribbon provide plenty of moisture.  Sounds like you're doing a flat so if you decide to mop/spray remember that when the door is open, there's no smoking going on.  I'd do it no more than once an hour but someone will probably know better.

How long do I need to let it rest? Till it's not tired any more? If you're going to FTC it, 1-3 hours should be plenty.  If not, at least tent it in foil for half an hour or so before slicing.

Should I use more than 4 hours of smoke? Four hours should be plenty

Is 180* meat temp ok? I usually go to 185o and FTC for a while.

Anything else I should do?

Read WTS and Pachanga's tutorials on the recipe site here.
     Don't "marry" yourself to 7 hours total - it could go several hours either side of that. 
     I love Jan's Rub but I think I'd do my first brisket as close to "Texas Classic" as possible just to see if I really like what comes out and then adjust to taste on later ones.  Just salt, pepper, and maybe some granulated garlic.  Mesquite or oak (depending on how strong I want the smoke).  That's just my way so no need to pay too much attention - the key is in slow, patient cooking.

Thanks for your help. Good luck (and post photos).

Hedlyna

Oh, and to me 4 hours is plenty

Adam

KyNola

What I am about to post is simply my opinion and I will yield to folks more knowledgeable than me who will be along to give you better advice.  Your temps and smoke times seem reasonable.  I might take the brisket to an IT of 185 but that is just my preference.  Two things I see that you may want to consider.  You indicated you are going to smoke/cook for a total of 7 hours.  You simply cannot know that the brisket is going to be finished in 7 hours.  It is finished when it is finished.  It very well may "stall" just like a pork butt.  Your brisket is done when it hits your target IT, not time.  The other thing is spraying with apple juice to keep it moist.  If you want to do that just know that you will increase your total cooking time each and every time you open the door to spray it.  Personally, I wouldn't do it.  A brisket shouldn't dry out on you unless you are going to expose it to high heat for a long period of time.  If you want to insure a moist brisket, you can inject it with a little "no sodium added" beef stock prior to cooking.  After the smoke period and the IT is around 160, you could also wrap it in foil with a little beef stock in the package.  The foil method may also reduce your total cooking time.

Just a few observations from my perspective but as I said earlier, folks with more knowledge than me will come along to give you better advice. 

They are already here.  They posted while I was typing.  Sorry, this is going to sound repetitive now.

squirtthecat

IAPILOT

After 4 hours the IT is 138* and I have been able to keep the temp at 218 - 222.

Here is a before photo

Tenpoint5

Next time you open the door yank all the spare trays out of there they is not needed and just get in your way when your taking food out. Might end up dumping a tray full of meat that got caught on an empty rack.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 17, 2012, 12:49:50 PM
Next time you open the door yank all the spare trays out of there they is not needed and just get in your way when your taking food out. Might end up dumping a tray full of meat that got caught on an empty rack.
Plus its more racks you have to clean ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

IAPILOT

After sitting for 1 hour

Cutting up

READY TO EAT!!!!

IAPILOT

I have to say guys it was WONDERFUL!!!!!

Tenpoint5

That a boy that brisket looks great!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

That looks great!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

IAPILOT

I forgot to add that "Jan's Rub" was fantastic on this. A big thanks for all the help & thanks Jan for the great rub.