• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef sausage

Started by mez, July 19, 2012, 08:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mez

So I have 10 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck to use up and I was hopeing someone would know of a recipe that I could make  beef only  sausages cause I used up all my pork.Any sugestions?

Kahunas

About a tbs of cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Stuff the casings and smoke with your favorite wood. Very simple. Very good. I also sometimes like to add about 3 Tbs of Morton tender quick , before the salt and pepper to taste part. Fry up a small pattie and taste before stuffing. Great with a bit of homemade sauerkraut and some plain yellow mustard. Or sliced up into bite size pieces and tossed in a pan full of fried tators and onions.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mez on July 19, 2012, 08:30:37 AM
So I have 10 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck to use up and I was hopeing someone would know of a recipe that I could make  beef only  sausages cause I used up all my pork.Any sugestions?

If your going to make beef smoked sausage you will need more than 3 T of MTQ for the 10lbs

Better yet get some cure 1 and use 2 tsp for the 10 lbs.

mez

I forgot to mention I'm looking to make fresh sausage with it cause the bradley is gonna be tied up with a pork butt tonight for my dads bday party tomorrow.though that recipe looks easy and good i'll have to try it next time.anyone think chorizo would be good all beef?

Kahunas

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 19, 2012, 09:56:07 AM
Quote from: mez on July 19, 2012, 08:30:37 AM

If your going to make beef smoked sausage you will need more than 3 T of MTQ for the 10lbs

Better yet get some cure 1 and use 2 tsp for the 10 lbs.
Actually for me 3 is enough for the flavor profile I like. I know they recommend 1 per lb but I personnally don't like it that strong.

Kahunas

Quote from: mez on July 19, 2012, 10:23:45 AM
I forgot to mention I'm looking to make fresh sausage with it cause the bradley is gonna be tied up with a pork butt tonight for my dads bday party tomorrow.though that recipe looks easy and good i'll have to try it next time.anyone think chorizo would be good all beef?
Sure, why not? Give it a go and let us know how it turns out. I bet it is great.

Habanero Smoker

For sausage that will be smoked, Morton recommends 1/2 tablespoon per pound. If you are just using it as a flavor profile, and not smoking 3 tablespoons is alright, but it is not recommended to go over 5 tablespoons for 10 pounds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kahunas

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 19, 2012, 12:53:49 PM
For sausage that will be smoked, Morton recommends 1/2 tablespoon per pound. If you are just using it as a flavor profile, and not smoking 3 tablespoons is alright, but it is not recommended to go over 5 tablespoons for 10 pounds.
Good to know, I guess it is 1 tbs per pound for dry curing meats, not for sausages? Is that corrrect?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Kahunas on July 19, 2012, 02:06:47 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 19, 2012, 12:53:49 PM
Good to know, I guess it is 1 tbs per pound for dry curing meats, not for sausages? Is that corrrect?

Yes! The one tablespoon is for when you are curing meats.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)