"Ham" loaf or large casing (3"?) ham sausage from Pork Butt ?

Started by Old Frenchie, July 21, 2012, 07:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Frenchie

I've seen references to a "ham loaf" by OU812 but couldn't find a recipe for it.  :(

I'd like to try making a ham loaf or a large diameter ham sausage that I could slice to make sammies.  :P

I want to make them from boston butt not from a ham.

Any and all help appreciated ...

Thanks,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Old Frenchie on July 21, 2012, 07:09:22 PM
I've seen references to a "ham loaf" by OU812 but couldn't find a recipe for it.  :(

I'd like to try making a ham loaf or a large diameter ham sausage that I could slice to make sammies.  :P

I want to make them from boston butt not from a ham.

Any and all help appreciated ...

Thanks,
Roger

Ham loaf is just like meat loaf but uses ground ham that has not been smoked yet. Very popular in the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish areas. Recipe uses pineapple juice, some brown sugar, salt, light pepper and made just like a meat loaf. Most the time topped with a sweet glaze. We make on holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas but its good anytime.

Where we lived in Lancaster County ,PA you could buy the ham loaf already mixed, all you had to do is form and bake.

Could you use it in a 4-5" bologna casing? Dont see why not as long as you dont fat out the meat, use a binder also.

bundy

Old Frenchie

Thanks Rick...  that picture got my taste buds going !!  :P

I grew up on the East Coast and remember eating this great stuff.  Unfortunately, here in central Nebraska I can't find anything like it (although we do have lots of cows/beef, corn, etc... ha...ha...). Maybe if I drove 200 miles (round trip) to Omaha I could find some.  So, I'd like to make some from scratch (boston butt).

I finally found Chris' recipes for "Ham Sticks" and "Ham and Swiss" sausages made from pork (vs ham).

I'd still like to get his "ham loaf" recipe though if it is available.

Thanks,
Roger
Brinkman Electric Smoker

Smokin Soon

Just search "Amish Ham Loaf". Lots of good ones out there.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Old Frenchie on July 22, 2012, 02:12:11 PM

I grew up on the East Coast and remember eating this great stuff.  Unfortunately, here in central Nebraska I can't find anything like it (although we do have lots of cows/beef, corn, etc... ha...ha...). Maybe if I drove 200 miles (round trip) to Omaha I could find some.  So, I'd like to make some from scratch (boston butt).

I finally found Chris' recipes for "Ham Sticks" and "Ham and Swiss" sausages made from pork (vs ham).

Thanks,
Roger

Chris's (10.5) or Curt's (OU812)? Chris don't remember either one of them recipes in his stock pile. Not saying they ain't there. Just that he don't member them!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 23, 2012, 07:13:13 AM
Quote from: Old Frenchie on July 22, 2012, 02:12:11 PM

Thanks,
Roger

Chris's (10.5) or Curt's (OU812)? Chris don't remember either one of them recipes in his stock pile. Not saying they ain't there. Just that he don't member them!

They just not asking the right person is all  ;D
However i think all the receipts are packed.

Old Frenchie

Sorry Chris .... :-[ I was also "collecting" some of your great recipes off the forum and got a brain fart.

I should have said I got Curt's (OU812) Ham sticks and sausage recipes.

Sorry .... tough to get OLD!!  Nothing seems to work as well as when young. ::)

Roger
Brinkman Electric Smoker