Temp. ?

Started by biedermancooks, March 19, 2006, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biedermancooks

How long does it usually take for the smoker to get up to 200+ Mine is taking a long time. Granted its about 30-35 outside

biedermancooks

also i forgot to add, is it bad to keep the temp slide all the way up the whole time? Sorry if these questions seem dumb I just dont want to mess up my new machine. I can afford to replace it right now and my wife would kick my butt.

acords

If your using the thermometer in the door, don't trust it.  Use a probe thermometer through the vent hole.  This will give you an accurate temp.  Wind is your enemy.  The wind will affect your BS more than the temp outside.  There are a few more problems that could affect performance, but consider these first.  Happy smoking

Grab me another Stout
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

owrstrich

bied...

the colder and the heavier the load and the colder and the windier the ambient... the longer the time to achieve target temp...

the dial thermo can be used if you know its accutate... sometimes they are as much as 30 deg off... you can calibrate it and use it... most folks use a 2 probe digi thermo... 1 probe for smoker temp and 1 probe for meat temp...

assuming pigg ribbs... the main thing is low and slow... 212 deg and hotter at sea level will boil the moisture out of the meat and it will be dry... i smoke pigg ribbs at 200 deg to 190 deg internal for moist and tender tug off the bone ribbs... a little hotter internal for fall off the bone ribbs...

slider all the way right until smoker gets to 200 deg... then back it off a little to maintain 200 deg... it takes a while to get good at it but after a few smokes you will have it figured out...

vent needs to be open enough to let some smoke and moisture escape... 1/4 to 1/3 is what i usually do... if you smoke too low temp or vent all way open you can dehydrate the meat... if you smoke too high temp or vent all way closed you can steam the meat...

low and slow... most folks dont use more than 4 hours of smoke but leave smoke generator on for its additional heat on cold days... most folks will open the door and rotate racks and swap out the water bowl with fresh water when their pucks are spent... and then wont open the door for a peak until done because it will extend cook time...

i smoked two slabs last week... 1 4 lber and 1 5lber... at 70 deg ambient and no wind... 200 smoker temp... it took 10 hours to 190 on bottom and 14 hours to 190 on top rack without rotate...

rubb only... mop only... rubb and mop...apple juice spay... and of course the ftc... all successful things by bradley smokers on this forum...

did i mention that ftc really freaks me out...

acords... i dont know if the smokehouse robber will agree... but anyone who has been up there oughtta... heres another stout...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

icerat4

HEY Owrstich i did 7.5 lbs of baby back ribs in 4 hours at 190 and they were great.I am not getting these times right or what.Why do your times seem way out of line.I rotated them 2 times and did a foil cooler deal no problems with them everyone liked them.Please share the timming deal here,[:D].o yea the temps out side by me were 35-40 degrees out side but my smoker is in my shed with lil winds comming in .How  can it be 9lbs of ribs take 14 hours at 200 degrees Please clue me in here im lost i guess .

owrstrich

at4...

the bottom rack was only 10 hours and the top rack was an additional 4 hours cause i never rotated...

also... those were spare ribbs... one end is lotts bigger than the other... temp probe was in the big end... baby backs are about the same thickness all the way thru and much leaner than spares...

here is another thing to consider... i have to start off with unpreheated smoker to avoid setting off the fire sprinkler and smoke alarms... it takes a long time to get to 200 starting cold and loaded...

i really dont know... i guess those are contributing factors...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

icerat4

Ok good enough.Done the spare ribs and st.louis ribs just didnt do as much poundage.the spares now that i think of it did take a bit longer.Thanks for the info sir.[;)]