• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heating Element Not working

Started by lepps50, August 11, 2012, 04:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepps50

My smoker quit today on me, I checked the outlet and it has power, all the lights are on the cooker are red, checked the fuse and it's OK?  I think it's the heat element?  Is their anything else I should check?

Habanero Smoker

If the power light on the faceplate is working, that is an indicator the element is bad. If you have a multimeter, you can disconnect the element and test it. A good element has an OHM reading between 27 - 32 OHMs, but as I mentioned earlier, if the power light works; nine times out of ten the element is no good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lepps50

thanks for the info, smoker is under warranty and Bradley is sending me replacement

Habanero Smoker

Great! You should be up and smoking soon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

miken

Habs - is that a good factory element or any element??  I have a 900w Tempco CSF00131 and am getting a reading of about 18-19 OHMs.  I am having some issues with it heating up to my set temp on the PID or even coming close to that temp when i put a load in there and was thinking this might be the problem.

TedEbear

Quote from: miken on August 22, 2012, 08:59:43 PMI am having some issues with it heating up to my set temp on the PID or even coming close to that temp when i put a load in there and was thinking this might be the problem.

When you added the new element did you change the existing wiring to a smaller gauge?  As I said in another message I'm running 1000W worth of elements with the original wiring configuration in the tower, except for taking the slider temp control out of the circuit.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: miken on August 22, 2012, 08:59:43 PM
Habs - is that a good factory element or any element??  I have a 900w Tempco CSF00131 and am getting a reading of about 18-19 OHMs.  I am having some issues with it heating up to my set temp on the PID or even coming close to that temp when i put a load in there and was thinking this might be the problem.

I know that the 27 - 32 OHMs is for the factory installed element, I'm not sure what the OHM reading would be for the 900w.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kahunas

Quote from: miken on August 22, 2012, 08:59:43 PM
That reading should be fine for the element. Generally when they go bad they go extremely high resistance. Check your voltage at the element. You should read full line voltage (or close to it) across the element. when the PID has it turned on.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

miken

The voltage seems to be fine.  Thought I had it working but still a no-go.  The whole saga doesn't really fit into this thread and i don't want to get in "trouble" with the moderators.....so if you are interested in the rest of it, it can be found here -- http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=29271.0

Thanks for your help