venison backstraps

Started by BigPosey, August 12, 2012, 07:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPosey

Does anyone have a good receipt for deer backstraps? What temp and how long should i smoke them? Victor

Kahunas

Those are usually extremely lean. I usually just grill them like steaks myself.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Up In Smoke

I have not done venison backstraps, but you could always cold smoke them for a couple of hours and then grill them.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Kahunas

Quote from: Up In Smoke on August 14, 2012, 08:50:26 AM
I have not done venison backstraps, but you could always cold smoke them for a couple of hours and then grill them.
Good idea.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Tenpoint5

I'm going to tell you how I do backstraps. Until the food police come and tell you their way which is always better after I tell you mine.

Rub the backstrap with CYM, then season with your favorite rub, drape thin sliced bacon over everything in a criss cross pattern, season again lightly. Preheat Smoker to 225-230 degrees. Apply 2 hours of Hickory smoke. Watch your IT, as you want to pull the  backstop inthe 142-145 range. Tent foil over the backstrap for 10-20 minutes to rest. Then slice and serve.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I cured a couple backstraps w/ Morton Tenderquick (and some other stuff), applied a Pastrami-esque rub, and hot smoked them.   Pulled when they went past 140°..

These were for some of my hunting colleagues at work.

If you are interested, I will try and find the post.

Ketch22

Hi
They make realy Good Canadian Bacon to.

TMB

Wish I could help ya' out. Onle back straps I have cooked were brined and put into my  Big Easy um, infrared cooker  ;)

10.5 pretty much should know, Lord knows he has cook/smoked enough of them.  I'd go with his idea
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

BigPosey

Well fellas, all I did was rub the backstraps down with olive oil and some home mixed rub that I mixed up. Smoked them for about 2 hrs at 225. This was over Hickory. They turned out awesome. Real moist with great flavor.