• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID overshooting and holding?

Started by frepar, August 17, 2012, 03:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frepar

hey all, quick question:

smoked up a picnic roast last night and set my auber PID to 225... went in the house and started preparing everything, came back out and my pid was holding temp at 237 (two elements make it quick!)

it has been a while since i ran the smoker so i lowered the temp to make up for the overshoot and ran an auto calibration... STILL held a higher temp...

so i said, screw it, and lowered my set point so the actual temp (overshot) was in the 225 ballpark and went to bed...

anyone have any clue why it was do this?  It was a beautifully calm night... smoke going STRAIGHT up out of the smoker, so no wind...

would a TC get worn out?  If this were the case, wouldnt my pid make up for it and just hold temp at a wrong temp that was reading "right"?

confused...

any help would be awesome!

thanks guys!

mikecorn.1

Was it touching something or have anything dripping on it? ??? Also I had a bad probe giving me false readings once. I got it replaced and no problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

maybe a bad probe... or have lost the auto tune,,, try auto tune again and go from there

Kahunas

Quote from: beefmann on August 18, 2012, 01:03:14 PM
maybe a bad probe... or have lost the auto tune,,, try auto tune again and go from there
What he said..
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

frepar

when you say "lost the auto tune"

what does that mean?

any suggestions on a good TC? 

TedEbear

Quote from: frepar on August 30, 2012, 09:06:58 AM
when you say "lost the auto tune"

what does that mean?

any suggestions on a good TC?

The PID memory may have reverted back to the factory default values.

I use a TC from Auber.  It is a K-type with an alligator clip soldered on.  I have a PID controller mounted inside the SG, not the plug and play versions that a lot of people on here have.