• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Stalled Brisket Temp at 147 degrees F

Started by BBD42, August 18, 2012, 11:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBD42

Smoking 13.5 lb brisket for 17 hours and the internal temp has stalled at 147 degrees F. BS smoker set to 220 F. What should I do?

TedEbear

Let it get through the stall stage on its own.  You don't want to rush it through that part.  If it is a concern you can wrap it in foil and continue cooking.  That'll speed things up at the expense of reducing the bark.

You can read more about the stall here:  Understanding And Beating The Barbecue Stall, Bane Of All Barbecuers

BBD42

Thnx alot, I'll be patient & wait. I'll let you know how it finishes. Going to check out that link you forwared me. Thnx again.

Rob

Habanero Smoker

There are usually two stalls when you cook butts and brisket. One around 140 - 145°F, which is of short duration; and the other at around 160 - 165°F which can take some time. For it to stall at 147°F, after 17 hours of cooking at 220°F; I feel there may be something wrong with your meat probe or cabinet probe, or the placement of your probes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BBD42

TedEbear,  :D I wrapped my brisket in foil and it instantly reached a 163 degrees F and finally finished after 24 hours,  at 187 degrees  F in the center of the brisket. Turned out moist & yummy. This is my second brisket and I'm giving myself with your assistance a "B" grade (good). First bisket was a partially moist & my grade was a "C-" (almost below average) dang "C" student/rookie.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BBD42 on August 21, 2012, 03:25:48 AM
TedEbear,  :D I wrapped my brisket in foil and it instantly reached a 163 degrees F and finally finished after 24 hours,  at 187 degrees  F in the center of the brisket. Turned out moist & yummy. This is my second brisket and I'm giving myself with your assistance a "B" grade (good). First bisket was a partially moist & my grade was a "C-" (almost below average) dang "C" student/rookie.

If you reach 163°F from 147°F instantly, then I would guess your probe was in a location which gave it a false reading. After wrapping in foil, and repositioning your probe, the probe began registering the correct internal temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)