When things don't go as planned.

Started by GusRobin, August 18, 2012, 01:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Schmidty and I decided to make a trip to Nashville to visit Restaurant depot and stock up. The primary goal was to get some prime rib eyes.
Well, we get there and sure enough, they are out of them.  So I ended up getting some baby backs, a 14 lb package of tri- tips, and some ground beef to make some jerky.
Here is the tri-tip. I was excited to get it since I have not been able to find it here.

Now the label says "Tri-tip F/ on R/W" and there were about 6 pieces in the cryovac pack. So I am not sure if it is what you all get as Tri-tip but it is the closest I have come so Tri-Tip it is.

Here are the different pieces

Ten lb roll of GB

Took one rack of BBs and added some Lucille's rib rub

All the tri-tips, rest of ribs, and GB wrapped, bagged, labeled, and into the freezer.

Went to put the ribs in the OBS and no power. PID lit up but the generator, extra element, and cabinet had no power. Switched plugs around and bottom line it that the outlet plugs on the PID aren't working. Got a message into Suyi at Auber.
This is one of the times that I am glad that I installed the 2nd element with a separate on/off switch. So I am able to use the 2nd element to get to temp but can shut it off when needed. But is screws up my plan to make pepperoni and jerky for a family get together. Oh well.
I'll post more rib pictures later.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

mikecorn.1

That should last a while, or not ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

Dunno what "F on R/W" means either but those are definitely tri tips.  They are a relatively small cut and generally run 2-3.5 pounds each.  Six roasts in a 14-pound package is about right.  Enjoy.

SiFumar

F/on = Fat on,  R/W = raw weight  ;D  Awesome meat haul!

muebe

Yes Gus that is a good haul of meat ;)

I like to season the Tri-tips before vac sealing and freezing. Seems to give them a deeper flavor IMHO.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

Quote from: muebe on August 18, 2012, 07:56:25 PM
Yes Gus that is a good haul of meat ;)

I like to season the Tri-tips before vac sealing and freezing. Seems to give them a deeper flavor IMHO.

Now you tell me ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OU812