Another Bacon Question

Started by JZ, August 23, 2012, 02:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I,ve been away on holidays for 2 months and when I arrived home I found a side of pork in my freezer. I ordered it from my neighbor and I guess he had the pig slaughtered, cut and wrapped while I was gone. I have some packages marked bacon for smoking and curing, which I assume to be belly bacon judging by their shape. 

My question is ..... can I thaw this out, smoke it and then refreeze it after slicing?

squirtthecat

Piker

Just finished one that I brought frozen. Can not tell from fresh. Piker

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ka Honu

I make it easy on myself and slice after smoking (and an overnight rest in the fridge).  Then refreeze in 1/2- or 1-pound portions so I don't have to mess with it when I want some "right now."

JZ

Thanks everyone.

As soon as I get some time I will start my first batch of belly bacon...... and there will be pix.

ratherbboating

I raise my own hogs and send them to the butcher to process.  All the meat comes back frozen.  When I get ready to do bacon, I place the slab in the bottom of the refrigerator over night (sometimes if it is too big, I have to cut in half while still frozen).
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child