• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Oh my...Pastrami

Started by Greenerlife, September 02, 2012, 07:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenerlife

Just taken my first ever pastrami out of the oven and even though I say so myself - it is awesome!

Many thanks to everyone here for getting me so excited about smoking.  I have found all the recipes very confusing, so I did a combination of a book recipe for the wet cure, then Bradley app instructions for smoking, then I steamed it for 3 hours in the oven.  I have only ever had pastrami in New York (it's quite unusual to see it in the UK) and the taste brought back so many memories, so it must be quite an 'authentic' taste!

I have a huge amount of it though - does it keep long?  Should I freeze what's left?

KyNola

You can certainly freeze it.  If you have a vac sealer, all the better.

NePaSmoKer

How bout some pics?

Like they say.

Or its just.

Keymaster

Sure does sound good, I'm thinking of curing up a corned beef and making pastrami soon.

Greenerlife

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 02, 2012, 07:49:04 AM
How bout some pics?

Like they say.

Or its just.

Give me a break!  i am just learning how to use my smoker - let alone upload photos!   ;D. No idea how to do that!  I will take a couple on my phone and see what I can do....

Habanero Smoker

Hi Greenerlife;

Welcome to the forum.

Have you viewed any of the following recipes?

Beef Pastrami

Pastrami

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Greenerlife

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 03, 2012, 02:40:58 AM
Hi Greenerlife;

Welcome to the forum.

Have you viewed any of the following recipes?

Beef Pastrami

Pastrami

Yes - both!  We don't get a lot of the ready made rubs etc over here, and I won't use pink salt, so mine didn't turn out as lush looking, but also, i wasn't sure about the steaming part - some recipes I looked at just smoked the pastrami.  I steamed it for 2 and a half hours in the oven after pretty much following that first recipe.  I am having difficulty translating things like FTC for example!  LOL.  I'll get there in the end!  Anyhow, it turned out much better than anticipated!  thanks for the encouragement!  Off to try smoking some cashews and peanuts now...

Habanero Smoker

Here is a short list of acronyms:

Acronyms

There was no ready made rubs in either recipe, but you may find there are some hard to find ingredients.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Greenerlife

Now THAT is useful!  LOL.  Thanks.

yes - I used that recipe because it didn't have the ready made rubs.  Sure they are great, but they will have to wait until I get to the States again.  been a while....

SnellySmokesEm

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

beefmann