new to smoking.....need help

Started by impactbbq, June 18, 2004, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impactbbq

Ok, so I'm getting my bradley smoker soon and I wan't to smoke some kickin baby back ribs.  I've already ordered several famous rubs to test out.  Here is my plan:  slather the rub all over the ribs and let sit over night.  Smoke the ribs the following day using hickory biscuits for 3 hours at 225 degrees. (dry rub only).  Remove the ribs and cover in foil and back in the smoker for another three hours at same temperature but no smoke.  Does this sound like a good plan for some ribs.  Any advice would be appreciated.
STEVE

MallardWacker

Impact Q,

Welcome to the forum IQ.  You will love your smoker.

This is my 1.4 cents worth here.  One of the things that you will enjoy about the BS is that the consistant  smoker temp and low burning temp of the wood alows you to do things that you may have to worry about with other type smokers (off-set and big green egg type).

First of which is that you may not have to put you ribs in foil.  I have have been getting consistant and excelent results with 7-8 hrs of cooking time on my loin backs.  My suggestion to this is half way through the cooking time you may want to rotate the racks.  I save the foil for when I am done, I wrap them then and let them rest for about hour.

Second.  You might want to try other woods.  I know everyone is about ready to say there goes MW again.  But, these guys on the forum got me out of the hickory pit and into some great smoke by getting me to try Pecan and Maple.  Let me tell you, -you won't be sorry. I ussually use about 4 hrs of smoke.

Also, I am a big fan of pulling the membrane off the back of the ribs.  Also if you like alot of rub on the rib, get some prepared mustard and wipe them down with it first.

All right, here is my .4 cents out of the 1.4 worth.  <font color="red"><b><u>KEEP THE DOOR SHUT!</u></b></font id="red">  I know you will want to look and look and look,(don't feel bad, we all did it) but you will mess things up here.  I only look at mine at about 4hrs and then I do any adjusting needed, then I close the door and waite for the temp of the meat to come up to done. 180-185.

Listed below is a thread on ribs, there I have a post with some of my results.  The is the typical way I do ribs.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161&whichpage=1

Most of all, have fun.  One last thing, don't forget to try some bacon.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

impactbbq

Thanks for the advice smoke on, I'll take it.  Your right, I'll be wanting to LOOK at my ribs every ten minutes but I'll try not too.  I'll will also experiment with other biscuit flavors as well.  Thanks

kjel

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I only look at mine at about 4hrs and then I do any adjusting needed, then I close the door and waite for the temp of the meat to come up to done. 180-185.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
MW, do you probe the meat after the first 4hrs are up or do you use the temp probe at the very beginning?  

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have have been getting consistant and excelent results with 7-8 hrs of cooking time on my loin backs.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Does it take 7-8 hrs to smoke baby backs?  Is this the norm?
What about bisquettes?  First put in 10 than after 4hrs add 2 more or split 5 than 5 after 4hrs w/ use of bubba pucks?

Fuzzybear

Here's my comment - you need to edit your first post up there and add that cool little drooling icon over on the left - the green guy![:p]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Kjel,

I don't probe the meat at 4hrs.  However I do keep track with it by using a remote thermometer.  I plug it in the meat at the begining and watch it from there.  The meat at 4hrs is usually not even close to plataeuing(ithikispelledthiswrong).

As far as the smoke, 12 pucks + bubba pucks(if you got em)at the begining will probably yeild the best results.

As far as the 7-8 hours.  I hate to use the same worn out saying here but, Low and Slow fits here better than any other place.  I go for the lower temps and the longer times.

But after saying all this, when it comes to ribs (and brisket) that everyone has there own way and thoughts.  I will humbly yeild to others that have there own reasons why they do things.  Hay this smoking, not air-bag deployment.

If you stick to slow and low, and watch your temps, you almost can't go wrong.  Most all have fun.  Everyone have great weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

ChefJeff

welcome,impactbbq,Try different woods and/or combinations you really can't go wrong.DO NOT PEEK![V][V]Check about 1/2 way thru  add water if needed and leave them alone until you are redy to eat.[:p][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

This is what I love about this forum. All you guys (and gals) have chimed in & given our new member far more input than I would ever be able to back in the infantile days of this board when everybody expected me to answer every one of their questions directly.[8D]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />One last thing, don't forget to try some bacon.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Steve, so that you don't have to research previous threads from long ago, I believe MW is referring to my favorite technique of laying strips of bacon on the top rack & letting them drip on the meat below. Keeps the meat moist & the twice-smoked bacon is pretty tasty too.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

curttate

Where did you purchase your remote thermometer?  Also, where does the probe come out of the smoker so you can read the thermometer dial?  I have ordered a smoker but have not received it.  If smoking low and slow is the way to go, you gotta have the Bradley that automatically feeds the pucks.  Thanks for your comments.  The Bradley forum is an excellent way to exchange information.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Kjel,

I don't probe the meat at 4hrs.  However I do keep track with it by using a remote thermometer.  I plug it in the meat at the begining and watch it from there.  The meat at 4hrs is usually not even close to plataeuing(ithikispelledthiswrong).

As far as the smoke, 12 pucks + bubba pucks(if you got em)at the begining will probably yeild the best results.

As far as the 7-8 hours.  I hate to use the same worn out saying here but, Low and Slow fits here better than any other place.  I go for the lower temps and the longer times.

But after saying all this, when it comes to ribs (and brisket) that everyone has there own way and thoughts.  I will humbly yeild to others that have there own reasons why they do things.  Hay this smoking, not air-bag deployment.

If you stick to slow and low, and watch your temps, you almost can't go wrong.  Most all have fun.  Everyone have great weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bassman

Curtis,
This is a really good remote thermometer, It's a little pricey but worth it. "Redi Chek" Maverick Smoker Thermometer. I purchased mine from //www.northerntool.com.There are 2 probes, one for internal meat temp and one for inside smoker temp. Both go down thru the vent and the transmitter sits on the cabinet while the remote part goes where you do.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />Both go down thru the vent and the transmitter sits on the cabinet while the remote part goes where you do.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
They can also go in between the door & the face. The magnetic door-seal will form right around them.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?