Another Hello from BC

Started by seb bot, September 15, 2012, 11:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seb bot

Hey all, another new member here from BC! ( Richmond, more or less Vancouver to anyone out of province...)

After half heartedly thinking about it last year, and then waiting for "next time they're on sale" for most of this year, I finally picked up a 4 rack digi at Canadian Tire on Thursday.

Seasoned it for two hours yesterday afternoon, then made some smoked almonds last night, they turned out pretty darn good!
Figured the almonds would be a fairly easy way to start, plus I didn't quite believe I was going to buy the smoker until it actually happened, so I didn't really have meat, rubs, sauces etc to work with ::)

I also did  some (a lot of!) spice shopping and mixed up a batch of jan's rub, as it seem to get universally good reviews. (Being genius that I am, a accidently doubled the seasoning salt, and so ended up making a double batch of an already large recipe. :-[ )
Got a buddy from work with a smoker who may benefit from my error, he is the one who inspired me to get into it.
Me- "Hey Tim. what do you actually cook in your smoker?" Tim "everything!"  ;D

Planning on picking up some ribs today and doing them for dinner tomorrow, probably gonna make some home made BBQ sauce for 'em too! ( Either "viper's not so secret sauce" that I found on here somewhere, or maybe 10.5's Bulldog BBQ sauce, though it sounds like that one might be a little thin for ribs )

Coming into to this with no prior food smoking experience and I've never done ribs at home either, but really looking forward to learning some new stuff and making some good eats.
Planning on lurking lots, maybe asking a few questions here and there, seems like a pretty helpful bunch of people on here!

devo

Welcome
After getting used to your new toy you will not be disappointed you bought a bradley.

beefmann

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. You are in good company locally and worldwide. If you have a question just ask. These guys like to help. Jan's rub is awesome, I need to make another batch myself. And there are so many recipes you won't know what to do next. Plus there is the recipe site (someone will post a link to it for you soon I am sure) it is great too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

seb bot

Hey guys, thanks for the welcomes.

Quarlow, if the site is the "susanminor.org" then I already have it in my favorites, it's where I got the almond recipe from. I take it by the relatively limited number of recipes in there that they are kind of the "best of"?? ???
( If it's not the susanminor one, then someone please let me know where else to look!)

Devo, I am going to be trying your coleslaw recipe as well; Found it earlier today, just realized it was the same user name, lol.

Got some back ribs at the local butcher today, looking forward to tomorrow!

p.s. Do the verification questions go away after a while? Kind of annoying to have to fill it out for every post  :(
(Although I typically do more looking than posting...)

Quarlow

Nope the susanminor is the place.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RossP

Welcome neighbor, have fun with your new smoker. Lots of good rubs out there, if you are ever in Langley head on over to Well Seasoned on the bypass, Angie has a good supply of some good rubs in stock. She is a Pitmaster, and one heck of a nice person.
Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

seb bot

That's awesome, thanks for the info RossP!

My sister is out in Aldergrove, so I'm out that way fairly often, will check it out for sure!

Rib dinner today was awesome, everything turned out super well, made for a great confidence builder; I was a little stressed all day, 'til we sat down to eat :)
My only regret is not having made more ribs ::)

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers