My 1st Smoke - Chicken Terragon w/ whiskey brine

Started by Neocrunch, September 16, 2012, 07:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neocrunch

This is my first smoke with my New OBS purchased with my fantasy football winnings from last year.  I'm smoking a whole chicken weighing in at 5.77 lbs.  I soaked it in a brine overnight for 10 hours, then rinsed and soaked in cold water for an hour, then rinsed and let rest naked for an hour.  Then I rubbed it down with olive oil and chicken terragon seasoning.  My plan is to cook it to 140 with 2 hrs of alternating cherry & maple pucks, and then finish to 165 in the oven (set at 350?).  I'll update with pictures as I'm able to.

Brine:
7 cups water
1 cup Evan Williams Whiskey
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 head garlic
1 bell pepper
1/2 chopped onion
1 tsp black-strap molasses
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 dried thai chili pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp chipotle pepper powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Allegro marinate & meat tenderizer

After 2 hours of smoke + 1 hour in the smoker...  Internal temp is at 149.  I'm getting ready to put in the oven (preheated to 330) to crisp up the skin. 

Pulled it out of the oven when the internal temp hit 169.  Wow.   It smells great and tastes even better!  Winner winner chicken dinner!  100% satisfied with my new smoker. 

Thought sausage smokin' in the shed. Tickle in the kitchen just losin' that head.

slowpoke

You got a good lookin bird there.Way to go.Looks really juicey.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)