question about pork loins?

Started by possumgritz, April 04, 2006, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumgritz

Hello friendly smokers. I am the proud owner of a brand new SS Bradley.....It's Sweet! I already cooked up some fine stuffed chicken breasts. I am now officially hooked on smokin. I've got a 10 pound pork loin whopper that I'm planning on stuffing with some good ole Louisiana boudin. I've found several rubbs that look very appealing. The only question I have is how long do ya'll think its going to take to get ready. I was hoping on using smoke for about 4-5 hours, but how long will it take to get the meat to the right temp. I'm gonna use the FTW or what it's called method after it's done.....Any suggestions or time guesstamations?
.....hey baby, did we just run over somethin.....well what are you waitin for turn around!!!

BigSmoker

Couple of suggestions ;).  1st I would cut it in half and just try that to start with.  The loin is not cheap so a 1st time smoke for this cut might be prudent ;D.  The loin dosen't have much fat so I would cook it around the 275f range until the internal was 150 with smoke for 2 hrs the 1st time out.  Apple, cherry or maple puckswould be good IMO.  You could also brine the loin to help keep it moist.  I'd skip the FTC and just let it rest for 10-15 minutes then slice as chops or however you like it.  Wrapping it with bacon could not hurt a thing either :P :P :P.  HTH.  Enjoy.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

possumgritz welcome to the forum

possumgritz

This is got to be the coolest thing ever. Technology is wonderful.  One can have a question, put it on this forum and within no time you have a response from someone who's done it before. Life is good!
.....hey baby, did we just run over somethin.....well what are you waitin for turn around!!!

Arcs_n_Sparks

possumgritz,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here as you can see. We look forward to your perspectives as well.

Arcs_n_Sparks

icerat4

HEY POSSUMGRITZ Welcome hope all is well .One thing your sig picture scares me.A smile would help.Ya look like a guy who just drank 50 beers and got done with smoking for 600 people.LOL  ;D.Happy smokin to ya enjoy the toy.

jaeger

Iceman,
I think that is a mugshot pic of Glen Campbell. He may have well just had 50 beers.........
He has a couple mugshots on the website...thesmokinggun

Oldman

possumgritz  welcome to the forums... It's been a long time since I head that name.

We have a recipe site of time test and proven recipes by the members here, and other good information for the home smoker. Check it out when you get time: Our Recipes

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

Welcome possumgritz, well worth checking out the Recipe Site as Old suggests. Let us know how you get on!
Manxman

nsxbill

Possumgritz,

Welcome to the forum!  The guys and gals here are merciless, but I have to admit, I thought Glen Campbell has joined the forum.  I like seeing what folks look like!  How about a song?  ;D 

Getting more serious now, I have yet to do a successful pork loin, and I think You have received some good feedback on your first prep.  Key is the statement that Pork Loin has so little fat.  You don't have to cook beyond 150°F meat temp.  I actually think I am going to try another one soon just to try to get one to come out right.  Prior, cooking to even 165° F meat temp., it was dry and tough.

The bacon topping is for flavor and to keep everything moist.  Previously I cooked at 205°F cabinet temp, and regret that the long slow cook for porkloin just doesn't work.  Again, it dries it out over the long haul.  It is much like chicken....Cook it quickly at higher temp, and apply smoke for max of 2 hrs.  Forget the FTC thing (THE FTW thing too, whatever that is). 

Best wishes on your next trial of the new smoker, and welcome to the forum.

If you haven't perused Raye Minor's forum of recipes and tips, check this out!

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

and this is the one I am going to try next.  It just sounds too good!

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89&highlight=pork+loin

The only price to pay for being here on our forum, is to let us know about your successes and failures and bringing a good sense of humor really helps.  Again welcome to the forum, Glen, I mean Possumgritz!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

possumgritz

Wow, it's good to see all of your replies. I have talked myself into cutting the loin into about 2 inch thick chops. and butterflying them with boudin stuffed inside. After hearing your post I probably will need a little more experience with my smoker to take on such a huge loin. This should cut down on the cook time tremendously. I am really enjoy looking at all the posts and threads on this forum. I have already downloaded the recipes on Ray Minor's forum. There is so much info on both of the forums, that I am going to have a hard time deciding what to cook. One thing that I haven't seen that much of is some good ole cajun recipes. With time and experience I hope to give ya'll some Louisiana style, Bradley smoked, some kind of good stuff yah', fixins.

Laissez les bon ton roulette
Happy smokin'

owrstrich

gritz...

i do a peg tenderedloin about everytime i smoke anymore...

why... because my wench digs the peg and the tenderedloin is her favorite...

i messed them up about everyway possible... low and slow... hot and fast... rubb no rubb... fat no fat...

after lotts of messing up i get it right everytime now... what i mean  by right... moist and juicy and tasty...

i did four 5 pound peg tenderedloins on saturday... this is what i did...

cut off all the fat... warshed and dryed them real good... rubbed with bigsmokers dexxy peg swamp venem... wrapped up in plastic supermarket bags... fridged for 2 days...

after coming up to room temperature i put 2 on the bottom shelf and 2 on the next to bottom shelf... i had a couple fatty breskets above them but if i would not have had the fatty briskets on top i would have a whole rack of fatty baken on top...

i used 4 hours smoke... anyting but mesket is what i use... and smoked at 200 until the bottom rack internal hit 150 deg... i ftced for i think 7 hours total...

i unftced and they were still warm... i sliced 2 at 1/4 inch and 2 at 1 inch... both custs are good... i have been eating this peg loin everyday since sunday... the then pieces and the theck pieces are moist and juicy and tasty both cold out of fridge and warm out of the radiator...

i cut all the fat off cause 200 deg over 4 or 5 hours wont melt it and it turns into tuff rubbery goo... that baken will keep it moist... sometimes i use pepperoni insted of baken for a spicy peg loin...

when its all over and all thats left are cockroaches and cher... it will be said the peg thenderlois were best grilled fast over hot coals...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

BigSmoker

Owrstrich you crack me up ;D ;D ;D.  Are you cooking the large loin portion or the small tenderloins?

owrstrich

big...

for you familure with poler bear terds... these thengs look like giant poler bear terds rendered out after a hard night of knawing on whale blubber...

and for you not familure with poler bear terds... these things looked like those little 2 inch supermarket loins after a full regiment in the my daddy was a donkey penis enlargement pump...

sh1t man... these thengs are about 3 pheet long and about 5 or 6 inches around with about 1/2 inch of phat about 1/2 the way around... 

i cut that 20 pounder into 4 rack width units... they were probably 4 pounders by the time i cut all that phat off them... you know why... you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

BigSmoker

Gotcha

I will have to try your method cause it do sound gooooood