• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Changing the Element in Case with Pics

Started by Bear1968, September 25, 2012, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear1968

I am posting this as per request of Mark.
First of all my Element went out last week and those wonderful folks from Bradley shipped me out one the very next day! I received the new one yesterday and installed it this morning.
Installation took about 10 minutes and was simple except for the fact I have fat clumsy fingers, otherwise it would have been more like 5 minutes  :)

Tools Needed:
9/32 Wrench
#2 Phillips Screwdriver

Make sure your cabinet is unplugged, the smoke generator is removed as well as all of the racks, trays and pans. You will locate the element inside the case on the lower back wall. There will be two screws on the left and 2 screws on the right that hold in a ceramic housing for the element as well as a heat shield.

After removing the screws the shield and ceramic housings can be pulled off exposing the nuts on either end of the element. Notice that in the Pic if you are careful it all comes off together in 1 piece by leaving the screws in the outer ceramic housing.

If you give a gentle tug on the element, the wires attached to the element will come out slightly giving you some play. I am pretty sure the nut size on either side of the element was 9/32.

Since it is pretty tight and you can not get a ratchet in there, the easiest way I found to take this out was to break loose the nuts on either side then while holding the wrench on one side spin the element with your other hand to remove the nut. When the nut is free I removed the small washer but left wire connector on to support the element until the other side was removed.
That is pretty much about it. Remove the element and Place new one in and just reverse the prior steps.  ;)
End result..........

A Nice warm glow is back in my Bradley!

UBC Local 268

Mark in Ottawa

Quote from: Bear1968 on September 25, 2012, 11:44:07 AM
I am posting this as per request of Mark.
First of all my Element went out last week and those wonderful folks from Bradley shipped me out one the very next day! I received the new one yesterday and installed it this morning.
Installation took about 10 minutes and was simple except for the fact I have fat clumsy fingers, otherwise it would have been more like 5 minutes  :)

(snip)

Thanks a ton, Bear! That's great info and definitely a post I'll bookmark for "just in case"

Thanks again.

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Toker

THX A BILLION Bear! I will make it a word document for my records. THX AGAIN!!! Should be includ into the recipe site so worth ;D

Habanero Smoker

Nice pictorial. If you are not sure of the wrench size, pliers or a small adjustable wrench also work well.

The instructions are on the recipe site, but the pictures do add clarity.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dale D

I think if you check it is a 7 MM wrench you need as this is a Canadian product and they use metric.

Bear1968

Quote from: Dale D on October 31, 2012, 12:11:04 PM
I think if you check it is a 7 MM wrench you need as this is a Canadian product and they use metric.

Thanks and noted.
For the Small Wrenches, I only had an Old Ignition Wrench Set that did not have Metric Wrenches in it.  :)
UBC Local 268

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712