Chicken Adobo

Started by Bear1968, September 26, 2012, 06:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear1968

Not sure if any of you guys tried this with some smoke.  ???

Adobo has always been one of my favorite ways to make some Yard Bird or Pork  ...or a combination of both. It just has an explosion of flavors ...all of which I love  :D
I made some Chicken Adobo a few weeks ago and my father came over for it. After eating he complimented me on how good it was ..... then there was the pause. I was thinking there was something he did not care for about it. He then said "That was good but it is not the same as the Adobo I had in the Philippines when I was in the Service. That was the BEST Adobo I ever had."
We talked for a while and he said that it was cooked over an open fire in what he described to be almost like a Dutch Oven and sometimes in long handled Skillet. I imagine the kind I read about being used for "Blackening".
I wondered if the flavor that mine was missing may have been from the smoke.

We shall soon find out!  ;)

Been kicking this around for a bit and I am gonna sleep on it and make a move tomorrow.  :o

If you are not familiar with Adobo here is a short Video showing a recipe. I make mine a bit different but you will get the idea. Just be careful .... you will be watching my NEW Girlfriend!  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CmFznqt8_s
UBC Local 268

Keymaster

Cool , Thanks for sharing!!!

JZ

Thanks ... never knew what Adobo was and it looks great (so does your future wife). :)

I am positive that it would be even better with a little smoke on that chicken ..... smoke makes everything good. Let us know how it turns out.

Bear1968

Ok well to start I mixed:

1 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Cup of Wine Vinegar
1 Head of Garlic Chopped
1 large Onion cut into wedges
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Black Peppercorns
3 Bay Leaves

Trimmed up 6 Chicken Thighs

Mixed it all in a 1 gallon Zip lock and burped all the air out.

Into the fridge til Tomorrow, flipping bag every few hours.  :)

So now I have another day to think about how I am gonna cook these lil buggers. Since the smoker is basically an oven, I looked up Chicken Adobo recipes for the oven and all of the ones I read called for 350F for the temperature. Which worried me since my Bradley is only supposed to get up to 280F.
As it sits right now my plan is to preheat smoker to 280F. Remove chicken from marinade and rest on rack at room temperature. Pour marinade into a Stainless Steel Pan and put in pre-heated smoker until mix hits about 200F then add Chicken and cross fingers. :o
UBC Local 268

Habanero Smoker

I would do a combined cooking method. I would remove the chicken from the marinade, blot a little to get off excess moisture, and place it in the Bradley at 225°F to just apply the smoke. Then remove from the Bradley and finish cooking in the oven. Though if I were doing this, I would finish them on the stove top the way it was done in the video.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bear1968

The way I have always made it the past was to throw them all in the crock pot on low before I leave for work and they are done by the time I get home.

I have enough to try it a few different ways and see which I like the best. After all  this is a recipe in development  :)
UBC Local 268

OU812

My thoughts on this would be;

After the time in the marinade put the chicken parts on a Bradley rack, over a rimed pan, in front of a fan and allow to drip dry and form a pellicle wile the smoker comes up to temp, say 250

Give the chicken 2 hr smoke, I like Apple on poultry

Wile all thats goin on pour your marinade in a pot, when the smoke time is done dump the parts in the pot and bring to a boil on the stove.

Reduce heat to a low simmer, put a lid on pot and cook 30 min.

Uncover and simmer till sauce is thickened to your liking.

Just my thoughts.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Bear1968 on September 27, 2012, 01:30:59 PM
The way I have always made it the past was to throw them all in the crock pot on low before I leave for work and they are done by the time I get home.

I have enough to try it a few different ways and see which I like the best. After all  this is a recipe in development  :)

After applying the smoke, that way would work very well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokin Soon

Quote from: OU812 on September 27, 2012, 01:34:51 PM
My thoughts on this would be;

After the time in the marinade put the chicken parts on a Bradley rack, over a rimed pan, in front of a fan and allow to drip dry and form a pellicle wile the smoker comes up to temp, say 250

Give the chicken 2 hr smoke, I like Apple on poultry

Wile all thats goin on pour your marinade in a pot, when the smoke time is done dump the parts in the pot and bring to a boil on the stove.

Reduce heat to a low simmer, put a lid on pot and cook 30 min.

Uncover and simmer till sauce is thickened to your liking.

Just my thoughts.

That' pretty much how we do it here, exept I just pat dry the chicken and smoke a while. I've evn done it frozen with wings. The type of soy is very important also. If you have an asian market
look for this soy sauce and vinegar. My wife is Filipino and she cannot stand Kikkomen. Sorry for the bad pic.

Bear1968

Ready to go in the Bradley!  ;)

230F with Apple Pucks

UBC Local 268

OU812

Bear1968

OK Time to Take out  :)

Was gonna do the stove thing but it was such a beautiful day and everyone knows that when cooking that beer taste better outdoors.  ;)
....and besides I finally found a good use for my Master Built water pan ... even if the smoker is not getting much work I can keep it's water pan busy  ;D

Time to eat!  :P
Smokin Soon ... please do not let your wife see this pic ... I know I am supposed to eat with white rice but I had 1/2 a loaf of French Bread I needed to save from ending up as bird food .... Besides my favorite way to eat Garlic Bread is with fresh Jalapenos and this may be the last ones from my garden.  If ya wonder about the onion it was saved from last night when I smoked some for French Onion Soup.  :)

It was GREAT way to smoke chicken and I would recommend it to anyone but there is something about the Slow Cooked way that left me with the "Eat all Skin, Gristle and Suck the Bones" results I get out of the slow cooker. Please DO NOT GET ME WRONG This WAS Excellent .... Just not the result I was looking for. I think the bird needs to be in the marinade while cooking to get the results I was trying to get with smoke .... Easy in a slow cooker but no smoke.
If you want to smoke some bird and have an explosion of Tart, Garlic and Sweet to compliment the Smoke then this is the way to go.  ;)

*Edit*
It seems that when you simmer the raw chicken for a long period of time it allows the Adobo to permeate the chicken to the bone. That is what I was looking for with smoke.
I will figure her out if I have to make it on a campfire!  :o
UBC Local 268

Habanero Smoker

The finished product looks good, and either method, if it's good; then it is good.

I would have to agree with you about the slow cooking (braising or stewing). After applying the smoking, I would have finished either the way the video instructed, or your slow cooker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

muebe

Looks fantastic to me Bear!

If I ate yours it would be the best I ever had!.... Of course it would be the only adobe I ever had ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812