• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer Sausage

Started by JZ, September 26, 2012, 07:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I want to try Len Poli's recipe for SS and note that it calls for some things I don't have. It calls for Soy Protein but from what I have read it is a binder that has no taste and is similar to NFDM (which I have). But the recipe calls for both. So is there a significant difference between the 2 or should I just substitute the NFDM for the Soy protein. :-\

Also calls for Phosphate and Ascorbic acid which I do not have. What is the function of these and if I leave them out will it have a negative impact on the final result?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JZ on September 26, 2012, 07:03:11 PM
I want to try Len Poli's recipe for SS and note that it calls for some things I don't have. It calls for Soy Protein but from what I have read it is a binder that has no taste and is similar to NFDM (which I have). But the recipe calls for both. So is there a significant difference between the 2 or should I just substitute the NFDM for the Soy protein. :-\

Also calls for Phosphate and Ascorbic acid which I do not have. What is the function of these and if I leave them out will it have a negative impact on the final result?

I have made this without the SPC and it turns out great.

Phosphate will retain moisture in the SS.  AC will make the SS have a tart/tangy taste. Note that the over amount used with both will make your SS mushy.

ECA or Fermento is normally used for the tangy tartness in smoked Sausage.

Binders are not always required in sausage making.

JZ

Thanks ..... I think I will just leave it out and see how it turns out. I have some fermento but have  never used it. Might try some in a small batch.

SiFumar

I always enjoy your responses NEPA...they are so helpful!