• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Timing and Placement

Started by Swany777, April 05, 2006, 07:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swany777

Hi all,
I've been using my Bradley like a madman since puchasing just over a month ago.  All the advice here has been great, so I figure I'd ask for some more advice.

Planning a big cook on Saturday (whether here in CT should be about 50- some rain possible but the bradley is covered from both rain and reasonably from wind).

I'm doing a 6 lb. pork shoulder, 2 racks of ribs, and 2 chicken rolls.  I figure 9 hours for the shoulder, 5 for the ribs (too much?), and 2-2.5hrs for the chicken.  So my plan is to eat at 8:00 pm, 3 hours for all to FTC.  This means Pork in at 8:00 am, ribs in at noon, chicken in at 2:00.  All come out at 5:00 for FTC (maybe sooner for chicken).  All at about 205-210 temp.

First question:  I plan to smoke for 5 hours, from 11:00 to 4:00.  This gives 5 hours for the pork, 4 for the ribs, and 2 for the chicken.  Does this sound about right?  Is the smoke less effective on the pork if it is applied after 3 hours of cooking- I wouldn't think so.

Second question:  Should I arrange the food in any specific way?  I would assume pork on top, then ribs, then chicken rolls- this way cheese would melt down and not hit the pork, and the pork could flavor the chicken a bit.

Sorry for the complicated question, but its my first multiple food attempt.  Fyi, I plan to use hickory- and be 4-5 beers into it by FTC stage- another reason to do the math now  ;D

Thanks,
Swany

icerat4

Wow lots of stuff.The ribs and times are right by them selfs but the pork is alittle lite .And with all that suff in at one time its surly going to effect everything else in the smoker.May want to rethink this one as far as how much stuff in at one time or get a few temp probs and let them do the guess work. ;D

Swany777

Hmm, well I did leave out that i have a temp probe for the shoulder- so that will help, and I figure I can go longer if its not done (dont need to FTC for 3 hours)...Maybe start an hour earlier to be safe?

icerat4

yup nothing like crackin a beer open at the crack of dawn.lol

IKnowWood

Swany, The pork shoulder ay take much longer.  Some of us have experience of 2 hours a pound.  for a 6lbs that's 12 hours.  And since you are talking about opening the smoker in the later half to third for the other foods, that WILL cool the smoker down increasing the pork shoulder time even more.  Cause not only are you opening the smoker to let the heat out, but you are adding something colder.  Net effect is to cook at a much lower temp for hours.  Thus extending the time of cook.

Its always better whne doing multiple items, especially with a Pork Shoulder to start with them together and take them out as they get done. At least that way is much more predictable. 

I am sure other will have their own variation.  That's a tough one..
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Swany777

Hmm....thanks Ice and IKnowWood for the comments.  Wood, if I started the chicken early, wouldn't I be done by 10:00 then have to FTC for a really long time (too long).  I guess i could re-heat in the evening.  That is sort of why I planned it the first way.  I will adjust for the pork cooking time, add 1 hr. in the morning (ugh, I'll take that beer now Icerat) and cut into FTC time if necessary.

Noted about cooling down when opening the door....in any case, I'll let you know how it goes

Swany777

Well, you guys were right...all that opening to put additional food in made it really difficult to keep the temperature up.

I started the shoulder at 7:00, ribs in at 12:00 and changed the water as well.  Didn't get the temp back up for about 1.5 hours.  By that time, I was scheduled to put the chicken in, which i did at 2:30 and again killed the temperature.  Left it all in there till 6:00 at which time the pork was still at 170 degrees.  Finally pulled the chicken and ribs out at 6:00 and FTC'd.  Finished the pork in the oven at 300 for 1 hour (guests were eating at 8:00 ).

The verdict:  Pulled pork came out great- got to 195 in the oven, and it pulled with ease.  A big hit.  The Ribs were also great, FTC'd with a little apple juice and the meat fell off the bones at dinner time. 

I destroyed the chicken rolls.  Waaay over done (left too long in the bradley, but was trying to get the temp up).  The only part that was good about them is I tried to pre-cook the bacon a bit before making the rolls.  That worked as the bacon was nice and crispy from the smoker.  So the chicken was a bit of a failure.

Well, nothing like practicing on this stuff...even eating mistakes is good. 

Swany

icerat4

2 outa 3 aint bad Good going ;) next try that meatloaf recipe aint moms meatloaf deal thats really nice,My 8 pound bone in pork butt took 13 hours til it hit 190 then ftc it for 3 hours .Can you say yummy ;D

Smokin Joe

IMHO, I love the experimentation...sure you may lose a few bucks on products that aren't perfect (or in some cases even edible - just ask my wife), but there is nothing like the thrill of trying to get every element mastered.  Of course, this will never happen as you will always be tweaking and trying to outdo your last "perfect" smoke!

Best of luck to ya!
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

iceman

Smokin Joe is right. Each time you smoke it's a new quest because your always going to try and do better than the last time. I would be  hard pressed to tell you how much food over the years I've had to toss. You just have to shake it off and go for it again. The main thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself. :D ;D

Swany777

yep...it is loads of fun.  We ate leftovers all day on Sunday- pork for lunch, ribs for dinner.  Then on Monday, the wife heated the chicken- bad and all- for sandwiches.  Its all good.  She's hooked and thats saying something for somebody who's mostly a salad greenie type girl.

Meatloaf sounds fun, but gotta be honest that I don't think anything comes closer to heaven than pulled pork with vinegar sauce.   ;D

Swany

icerat4

Swany777 ive done both And the meatloaf is running a very very close race with the pulled pork. :P

Smokin Joe

When you do try the meatloaf, make sure to make it a bit bigger so you have some extra for sandwiches the next day...smoking the meatloaf makes for the best damn meatloaf sandwich you will ever have!!
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

iceman

Gotta agree with you on this one. I'm having a sandwhich from the leftovers today at work. I need to double up on the recipe next time though. Hardly any left for lunch! :P
Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 12, 2006, 06:17:19 AM
When you do try the meatloaf, make sure to make it a bit bigger so you have some extra for sandwiches the next day...smoking the meatloaf makes for the best damn meatloaf sandwich you will ever have!!

threerivers

Quote from: icerat4 on April 10, 2006, 02:37:45 PM
then ftc it for 3 hours

Okay, I apologize - I'm a newbie here - what's "ftc" stand for?  Somebody?   ???