• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

MORE Bologna...

Started by Kevin A, October 01, 2012, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

I had a chance to make some more bologna this past weekend. Same recipe I've used in the past, but decided to make smaller chubs versus the larger 4"+ diameter chubs I've done before.

Ground up some pork butts and had some lean ground beef to use. The usual list of bologna ingredients:

After mixing all the ingredients, I re-ground (2nd grind) the batch through a FINE late (3.0) in order to achieve a smooth, fine texture in the final bologna:

I used some summer sausage fibrous casings I picked up on my last trip to the Cabela's outside of Reno.
They hold about 3.3 lbs fully stuffed. Had just enough leftover to make a mini-chub ("chubbette"? ):

I hung the chubs in kitchen & put the big floor fan on 'em to blowdry them before I hung them in the smoker.
After about an hour, I hung the dry chubs in the smoker. Using "Pitmaster Blend" pellets in the A-Maze-N smoker, I'll hang these for about 3 hours of heavy smoke before I finish them in the poacher.

More to come.....

Kevin

Sailor

Nice looking chubs you got there!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

JZ

Looking good as always. :)

Kevin A

So after 5-1/2 hours of cold-smoking, I pulled the hanging chubs.

The chubs get plunked into a basin of hot water (167°). Temp probe inserted into one.

Top placed on the poacher. I'm keeping an eye on both the water temp (dial thermometer) and the IT of the chub (Maverick). I estimate it should take about 30 minutes or so to reach 155.°

After 35 minutes, I plunged the chubs into an ice bath for a quick cool...

SLICED: I usually wait 24 hours or so before slicing—this gives the chub a chance to firm up & dry a bit—but I gave in to temptation and sliced a few to sample. The texture came out nice and the flavor is very good! My son thought it was great fried up!

Kevin

Here are a few thick slices, still moist, but peeled & ready to go!  :)

Sam3

Nice job Kevin. I just ordered some beef middles and the pitmaster blend this past week. Bologna is next on my list too.  ;D

SouthernSmoked

Oh, heck yeah! Looks pretty darn tasty!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

muebe

Looks great Kevin. I always enjoy reading your posts. Great pictures ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

JZ

WOW those look real juicy. Very nice. :)

OU812

Lookin gooood

Fried bologna brings me back to my younger days, we used bacon grease

pikeman_95

Well Kevin good looking as usual I have this recipe on our auto excel sheet. Deer archery season is open now and soon the regular season will open up. Looking forward to getting some venison for the sausage making. It still has been kind of warm out but that will change soon. You do a great job as usual.
KC

mikecorn.1

Man, that looks good! Fried bologna Sammie sounds good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

BAM1

Nice work.  Probably all gone by now
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

rpreston00

Looks awesome.  One of these days, I am going to have to try this myself.  Thanks for the great pics. :)
I know it's been said before, but "Bacon Makes Everything Better"

Kevin A

Bologna glamour shot!

Boys & I never grow tired of fried bologna sandwiches while watching the NFL or the MLB playoffs!
We've been making a sizable dent in the bologna stockpile.

Kevin

SouthernSmoked

Niiice looking fried bologna!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little