Pasta w/smoked salmon

Started by Fisherman, October 01, 2012, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherman

Does anybody have a recipe for pasta with smaked salmon?
Fall= Salmon,Stealhead, Football and the great smell of smoke!

Bear1968

Now THIS needs to be a recipe in development!  :P
Sounds GREAT!  ;)
UBC Local 268

Habanero Smoker

There are times I use smoke salmon in my mac & cheese dish, or when I'm making pasta with a white sauce I will throw in some smoked salmon. I just follow the regular recipe, and add the salmon. Example, if I'm preparing pasta with clam sauce, I would follow the recipe, but in this case I will substitute smoked salmon for the clams.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tater

I just add some smoked salmon to alfredo sauce and serve over linguine.  You can even use store bought alfredo if you want.  It's all good!

iceman

Quote from: Tater on October 02, 2012, 01:31:20 PM
I just add some smoked salmon to alfredo sauce and serve over linguine.  You can even use store bought alfredo if you want.  It's all good!

Toss in a few canned artichoke hearts (not brined) with the alfredo sauce / salmon and you have an awesome pasta dish.  ;)

Bear1968

Quote from: Fisherman on October 01, 2012, 09:20:12 PM
Does anybody have a recipe for pasta with smaked salmon?

Since I love pasta as well as smoked salmon I went on a mission. I felt that this question should be answered with a members recipe but unfortunately I did not have one. I thought about trying to come up with a unique way to make a Salmon Pasta Dish and came up with nothing until Muebe posted the Time for some Lox post. I started looking at Lox and Gravlox recipes and found that it is traditionally served with Crème Fraîche.
Crème Fraîche is just a simple sauce made from Whipping Creme and Buttermilk that is mixed and allowed to rest at room temperature until it reaches the desired Thickness. Anywhere from 8 to 24 hours.
That is where this recipe was born and dubbed "Project X"  :D
lol I did not want to mention my project before I made it just in case it sucked  :o

Salmon and Linguini Skillet with Roasted Tomato's

Ingredients:
Apx. 1 pound of Smoked Salmon
1 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
3 Tablespoons of Buttermilk
1 1/2 Cups of Cherry Tomato's
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Dill
Capers
1 Pound of Linguini
Salt
Pepper

Start out making the Crème Fraîche by Mixing 1 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream with 3 Tablespoons of Buttermilk and set aside. We are not going to let it sit as long as if you were making it as a condiment as it was intended to be. That would be too thick for this application.

Next take a large Cast Iron Skillet and add the Cherry Tomato's. Coat with Olive Oil, a dust of Salt,  Pepper and chopped Dill and Toss.

Place in an Oven Pre-Heated to 375 and set timer for 25 minutes.
At this point you want to start your pasta. It should be done about the same time as the tomato's.

Remove Skillet from the Oven and it goes right on the Stove on a medium heat. Add Crème Fraîche and gently flatten Tomato's. At this time you are gonna salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a simmer. While waiting remove Salmon from Skin and crumble. Allow the mixture to simmer for a minute or so add salmon.

Bring back up to a simmer and allow to simmer about 2 minutes. At this point your Pasta should be cooked , drained and rinsed. Turn it into the sauce until pasta is well coated and tomato's and salmon well distributed.

Serve with Capers sprinkled on the top  ;)

I was very pleased with the way this came out. You kinda had to move quickly because the Heavy Cream and Buttermilk really seemed to thicken very fast.
I was really nervous since this is not a copied recipe and I personally never heard of anyone making it. The thing I was nervous about is how well the Smoked fish and the Dill would mate with the Heavy Cream and Tomato's. I almost omitted the Dill and I am SO Glad I did not!
Turned out rich and creamy and the Capers really put it over the top. I think it's a keeper!  :)
UBC Local 268

Tater

VERY nicely done Bear!  This goes on my "to make" list.  Thank you for the effort and creativity.

NorthShoreMN

Smoked salmon added to a cold pasta salad is good also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi