• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Olives?

Started by Sailor, October 14, 2012, 05:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

On an inspection last week I got to talking with a Chef at a restaurant that I was inspecting.  We got to talking about smoked olives.  He said that he no longer has a smoker and missed his smoked olives.  That got me to thinking so I called Rick to ask him if he ever smoked any.  I mean Rick has smoked Peeps for crying out loud.  Nope he says, Never smoked olives.

The Chef says he used to smoke Kalamata Olives and I never heard of them before.  All I know about olives is we get black ones for Thanksgiving and the kids put them on their fingers.  Of course we have the green ones.  I goes looking through the fridge and sure nuff way in the back is a jar of large Queen olives.  I know I have a jar of pickled jalapenos.  So I set out taking the red what ever stuff that is stuffed inside the olives and replacing it with a slice of jalapeno. 

Going to put about 3 hours of cold smoke on these bad boys.  Will try to keep the cabinet temp around 90 degrees. 

The players

Red crap pulled out

Got them all stuffed

Ready for the smoker

See you all in about 3 hours.  Not sure if I want to add anything back into the juice to spice it up when they are finished.  Any ideas?

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Going to be good there Jim

Always great to chat with ya.

Tenpoint5

If anything sailor dump the left over juice from the japs in with the pickle juice.

1/20
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 14, 2012, 07:24:26 AM
If anything sailor dump the left over juice from the japs in with the pickle juice.

1/20
Yep, I'm a thinkin bout that.  Think I will add some garlic cloves to the mix as well.

Sailor

Pouring the smoke to them

Been 3 hrs so pulling them off

Got 1/2 put back in the jar

Got all put back in the jar and then filled it with jalapeno juice.  Added a big heaping tsp of minced garlic.

Tasted one of the mutants that was kinda broke up and it had a very strong smoke, kinda like eating cheese just out of the smoker but not so much of the ashtray taste.  I think they will have to stay in the fridge for a few days to mellow.  Will keep you all informed as to how they are in a few days.

4/20

NePaSmoKer

Yup like the smoked pickles i did while back, in the juice and fridge for awhile.

3/20

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

You could smoke the garlic cloves also.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

That'll wake up your next Martini!

The Kalamata are the big black Greek olives.  Very rich tasting. (and expensive)

muebe

Interesting...

How about a piece of smoked cheese in the olive when serving them?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

NePaSmoKer

Its Jims fault.

I got some going to. Using maple smoke, PID running at 90*

mikecorn.1

So ya answered my question on if the olives took any smoke flavor :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SiFumar

Mmmm worth a try!  Smoked olives in a martini....oh ya!

Habanero Smoker

They look good.

I generally will use  Kalamata, or black pitted olives canned in water; they are less salty. After smoking I marinate them. Both types of olive are usually come unstuffed, so you can stuff them with cheese, pieces of ham, nuts, garlic or a variety of vegetables.

Marinated Smoked Olives

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SiFumar

Thanks Hab's for link to that recipe...don't know how I missed that!  I can see that on a cream cheese crostini! Yum!