Hot Slim Jims & Recipe

Started by NePaSmoKer, October 15, 2012, 05:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Here is a stick recipe i have used allot.
Just a tad on the spicy side for 10 lbs. If you want 5 lbs just reduce the recipe in half.

8 lbs lean GB (90/10 will work) or Venison. If you like you can all beef this with 80/20 and omit the fats.
1 lb pork fat (butt fat)
1 lb beef fat (brisket trim, that harder kind)

5 T non iodized salt
2 level t cure #1
5 T powdered dextrose
1 t liquid smoke (yeah i know)
3 t celery powder
3 t nutmeg
3 t curry powder
3 t white pepper
1 1/4 cup cold distilled water
1 cup NFPDM or Buttermilk powder, fermento.

Sheep or collagen casings 17-20mm

If you are grinding, grind all meat thru med plate 1 time. Add the dry and water to the grind, mix in well and grind again thru med plate. Stuff into your choice of casings.

I start my smoker at 130 and PID thru to 170. Your looking for a meat IT of 152-155. Upon reaching the IT hang or rack the sticks to bloom, dont cold bath or shower, ya want em shrively.

Enjoy

My dry for 5 lbs. Mixed lastnight for stuffing/smoking today.

OU812

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

JZ

Looks good and thanks.

I noticed the salt in the picture looks like fine grain, not as coarse as the stuff I get. Is this something different than coarse salt or pickling salt?

Sailor

Quote from: JZ on October 15, 2012, 12:17:38 PM
Looks good and thanks.

I noticed the salt in the picture looks like fine grain, not as coarse as the stuff I get. Is this something different than coarse salt or pickling salt?
When you use salt for a recipe I would recommend that you weight the salt if you are using course grind.  1 tsp of course grind will be different than 1 tsp of fine grind.

4/20

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Consooger

Thanks RIck. I am starting up my sausage and stick making right after I get married. I am gonna give these a whirl!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

NePaSmoKer

Getting stuffed.

Not my best stuffing job.

In 6 rack at 10:30am. PID thru 130-173 using hickory.

NePaSmoKer

Pulled from 6 rack at 6:32pm. IT of slim jims at 153.

Consooger

Rick where did you get those sausage hangers?
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

OU812

NePaSmoKer

Turned out pretty good with the hickory smoked salt and the buttermilk powder.

Consooger

rick do you smoke the salt? I just bought a batch or hickory powder was wondering if you could sombine that with the salt and then grind if needed.

I'm also thinking of tweaking these and making jalapeno and habanero smoked ones like this kinda like the "gross slim jim" kinda in stores

You have inspired me  ;D
               -My Wife

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Consooger on October 17, 2012, 07:08:51 AM
rick do you smoke the salt? I just bought a batch or hickory powder was wondering if you could sombine that with the salt and then grind if needed.

I'm also thinking of tweaking these and making jalapeno and habanero smoked ones like this kinda like the "gross slim jim" kinda in stores

You have inspired me  ;D

Yes i smoke the salt. You could use hickory powder with the salt but watch the amount.

I save my Sausage Maker seasoning jugs to use for sticks and jerky.

iceman

Good looking sticks Rick. Gotta run a batch through when I get back home. Thanks for sharing.