• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

suggestions needed for curing Elk Eye Round Roast

Started by Caribou, October 19, 2012, 06:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi Everybody,
Yes, I haven't been around much but I have been a-lurkin'! ;)

I defrosted this beautiful package of elk eye round roast and want to possibly cure one or both.

They are just over 2 lbs each with the grain running the length of them.

I was thinking of maybe a Canadian bacon out of one and maybe something a little more on the savory side for the other.

Would love some suggestions, thanks in advance,
Carolyn

KyNola

Hi Carolyn!  Good to see you on here.  The elk is beautiful.  I am attaching a link to Habs's Canadian Bacon recipe as I don't think you can beat it.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?311-Canadian-Bacon

squirtthecat

I cured a couple venison backstraps for a hunter at work last year.   I used Hab's CB cure, and then used his Pastrami rub. (and smoked it to 140° so it wouldn't dry out).

Turned out PDG.

Caribou

Thanks guys :)
Hey, it's good to be here :)
I just checked out both your suggestions and they sound perfect.
I've only made one CB so far using pork and I used a really sweet recipe (Mallard Wacker"s)that had the maple syrup and maple cure.  It turned out great but I like the idea of having some garlic and onion like these two recipes have :)
Maybe do one using Habs CB recipe, and one like Squirt did w/ Habs rub.

They are both about 3" in diameter, do you think the cure time would be the same as it is for a pork loin?

Carolyn

squirtthecat

I went 6 days on the backstraps, so yeah, that sounds about right.

Habanero Smoker

If you want one like Canadian Bacon and one that is more savory, I would use the Canadian Bacon recipe for one and the Beef Pastrami recipe for the other. Using the Beef Pastrami recipe from start to finish will be more savory then applying a pastrami dry rub on a piece that was cured using the Canadian bacon cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

Habs you must be psychic!
That's exactly what I ended up doing, one got the CB rub and the other got the pastrami rub :)
The only question I have is that one  recipehas a 6 day cure time and the other 4 days. Is that because one is for a loin and the other is for a brisket?
These elk cuts were both 2 pounds and 3" wide at their thickest point.  Do you think they could be cured for the same length of time?
Thanks! :)
Carolyn

Habanero Smoker

The differnce in the curing times between the two recipes is that loins are generally thicker then brisket flats and therefore need the extra time.

Both of your cuts will cure at the same rate. As STC stated you should cure around six days, and to an IT of no more then 140°F.

Looks like those cuts will make some "good eats".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

Thanks!
I'm really looking forward to smoking them.  I will definitely post some pics of the finished product.
Kind of tired of buying little packages of cold cuts at the store for $3 each.
It will be nice to have some home made lunch meats. :)
Carolyn

KyNola

Yum, can't wait to see the finished product.  Sounds great Carolyn.

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.