• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Slim Jim Saturday

Started by GusRobin, October 20, 2012, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

What a better way to spend a Saturday then watching football, drinking beer, and making Slim Jims.
Used a recipe that NePas posted a little while back. Made 5 lbs using 80/20 GB plus the following players: (sorry for the lousy pictures)

Mix it all up

Stuffed in smoked and non-smoked collagen casings

All loaded in the Bradley

Hanging and blooming

Trimmed up and ready to go in the fridge.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BAM1

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

JZ

Those look good. What is that on the bottom rack above the V tray? ???

NePaSmoKer

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JZ on October 20, 2012, 09:24:30 PM
Those look good. What is that on the bottom rack above the V tray? ???

Thats a heat deflector shield that was made by a good friend and forum member. I will let his say who he is.

Keymaster

Super job on them sticks Gus!!

Consooger

excuse me for the ignorance in me, but what is the powder dextrose and the dry milk used for. Only reason I ask is because I'm planning on making the leap to start making this kind of stuff.

Thanks and excuse the stupidity because I'm sure all this info is posted somewhere.

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

GusRobin

Quote from: Consooger on October 21, 2012, 11:01:11 PM
excuse me for the ignorance in me, but what is the powder dextrose and the dry milk used for. Only reason I ask is because I'm planning on making the leap to start making this kind of stuff.

Thanks and excuse the stupidity because I'm sure all this info is posted somewhere.

John
"cause Nepas said so in his recipe ;D ;D ;D I am not sure but I am sure the experts will be here shortly.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tskeeter

Dextrose is a sweetener.  But not as sweet as sugar, so you can't do a 1 to 1 substitution.  I believe that it's made from corn.  Dextrose is used in commercial food processing because it is less expensive than sugar.  But, in small quantities, it's probably more expensive.

The dry milk is used as a binder and to help retain moisture.  In commercial sausage making, whey protein concentrate (WPC) (another dairy product) may be used to do the same thing.

Consooger

LOL @ cause NEPAS said so!

Cool that answers my questions thanks!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

OU812

Good lookin sticks Gus

Quote from: Consooger on October 21, 2012, 11:01:11 PM

John

John;
Check this out, I think it will answer your questions
http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/use%20additives.pdf

Consooger

-My Wife

bundy

I would like to know a little more on the HEAT DEFLECTOR SHIELD...

Tenpoint5

Making Sticks must have been in the air last Saturday.

I could be wrong but I don't think the heat deflectors are in production any longer. That forum member has been busy helping his daughter get a business up and running. Not a whole lot of time on his hands at the moment.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Consooger

Gus, do you happen to have the exact ammount for the recipe here or a link to NEPA's recipe? I want to give this a try as I just ordered a boat load of sausage supplies.
               -My Wife