Turkey size (Max)

Started by weaverdesigns, October 21, 2012, 12:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weaverdesigns

I have a 4 rack Jim Beam smoker and was wondering what the max size turkey will fit in the smoker ?

KyNola

Well, I would say that depends on how you want to place it in the smoker.  If you're going to lay it on a rack the size will be smaller than if you want to place it vertical on a turkey roaster positioned on a rack ala "beer can chicken".

mikecorn.1

I say take the measurements from the Bradley and then measure the yard bird and see if it will fit.  ;D :o ::) 8)
Mike

Habanero Smoker

I generally will stay within the 12 - 16 pound range, mainly closer to 14 pounds. The largest I have been able to fit in the OBS is an 18 pounder, and that was a tight fit. There was very little clearance from the back wall, so I rotated the rack every so often. Some members have been able to fit a twenty pound turkey.

When you smoke/roast your turkey, double up your racks for greater support. If you smoke the turkey horizontally be careful taking it out of the smoker. The cavity collects a lot of juices, and easily spill out when removing the turkey. Have a rimmed sheet pan ready to put the turkey on when you remove it from the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shasta bob

I hang a turkey in a stocking from the vent. and have no problem with a 14 lb. bird my 2cents.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

beefmann

I think you would be able to hang a larger bird from the top vent and smoke/ cook it that way

smoker pete

I like to stay with 12 -16 lbs also.  Here's a 12 pounder.  If you use one of those Turkey vertical holders I think you should be able to get around the 20 lb range when you stand one up.

Just remember that the bigger the bird the longer it will take ... unless you smoke it in the Bradley for a few hours and then transfer it to a 325 - 350ºF oven  ;)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Shasta bob

Hers is a picture of my last bird 14 Lb.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Dale D

Ok...I got to ask....what did you use to bag and hang the bird with?

OU812

Quote from: Dale D on November 14, 2012, 05:36:53 PM
Ok...I got to ask....what did you use to bag and hang the bird with?

Looks like a Ham Net to me

irnman1827

I did a 15# 'er this past weekend and it fit in my four rack DBS easily. Although, I've been lurking around here long enough to know that without pics it didn't really happen  :D