• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Canadian Source for Quick Kure

Started by Silvergrizz, October 22, 2012, 07:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvergrizz

OK, I just got back from my butcher who gave me the name of a salesman at Unipac, who I talked to, but wanted to know what the exact ingredients were in the cure, I have to ask. What and where are you buying in Canada a cure similar to Morton's tender Quick or Sifto Quick Kure? The unipac guy says he has all kinds of different cures for specific products, but that is not what I'm after. Do any of my fellow Canadian Smokers have an online source in Canada I can order from?

KyNola

Given your thread in the "introduce yourself" section of the forum, I have to ask this question.  Have you ever worked with a curing agent before?  If the answer is no, please be very careful as you can make folks really sick if you cure meat improperly and use too much or too little.  Sodium nitrite is the primary curing agent used for curing meats that will be smoked and/or cooked.  It's also known as Cure #1, InstaCure, Prague Powder among other names  Sodium Nitrate is the primary curing agent used for long term dry curing products such as salami, etc.  It is also known as cure #2.

Believe me, you don't want to confuse the two so if you have not done your homework please do so or ask one of the curing experts on this forum.  They will be more than happy to help you. 

Silvergrizz

NO, never have, thought is was a normal part of the smoking process. Will do a lot more reading before going down that road, thanks for the heads up.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Silvergrizz;

Welcome to the forum.

With the Bradley, most of the recipes you see on this site and the recipe site are not "smoking" foods in the technical term. The over whelming majority of food prepared in the Bradley are cooked at barbecue temperature (200° or over); therefore a cure is not needed. If are using smoke house temperatures 90° and below for cold smoke, or 100°F - 180° for hot smoke, then a cure is needed.

Curing meat is not a difficult process, you just need to know the basics, and follow guideline. We all started at your level, and you will learn quickly. Sifto Quick Kure topic has been brought up on this forum since I have been a member, and I have not been able to find out much about it; though I haven't done a search for it in years. Just because it has the word Quick in it, does not mean it is a substitute for Morton's Tender Quick; sodium nitrite is often referred to as a "quick cure".

Below is a link to some commonly know cures, and their description:
Curing Salts

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Silvergrizz

Thanks, great info, I am amazed at the welath of information on your site. Much appreciated. I really want to try a cold smoked salmon soon. I have access to fresh salmon here in the Maritimes.

Quarlow

You won't need "cure" to cold smoke salmon. The brining process will take care of it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

Well if Silvergrizz wasn't confused before I'll bet she/he is now. :o

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Silvergrizz on October 22, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
Thanks, great info, I am amazed at the welath of information on your site. Much appreciated. I really want to try a cold smoked salmon soon. I have access to fresh salmon here in the Maritimes.

Your welcome. There shouldn't be anything confusing on that link, if there is just ask for clarification. The information in the link doesn't look like it has confused you; at least at this moment.  :)

The site was actually the idea of a member Oldman; aka Olds who got it up and running, and finances it. I update as much as I can.

As Quarlow pointed out, for smoked fish you don't need a cure, the level of salt in reliable recipes for smoke fish is enough to provide food protection.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on October 22, 2012, 09:44:16 PM
Well if Silvergrizz wasn't confused before I'll bet she/he is now. :o

X2

Silvergrizz

The information on Old's board cleared up a lot of my questions. I spents several hours last night reading some very good explanations of the processes and some great looking recipies. Guess I will just jump on the wagon, condition the smoker and start smoking on Friday.  :) :)

Habanero Smoker

Jumping right in is often the best way. Have fun, and if you have some favorite recipes please share!

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Silvergrizz

I most certainly will once I try a few time tested ones, I will most definitely start to experiment and modify.